ALL: Favorite Soap Special Episodes, Standalones, and Stunts

• Members

Sorry. My bad-I had to look it up.  They were brothers, but not twins lol.  Luis was older.  I knew it was something stupid like that, but I guess better than cousins.  

OK.  Got it.  I still think there was a feasible way to bring him onto the canvas though, even as just a lookalike with Sonny/Jason not trusting him.  And maybe Tomas did something awful when he was undercover that made him indebted to the organization and Tomas could still be a foe for the Corinthos organization.  At least TK had proven chemistry with the actors on GH.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tomas was kind of a bust of a character. People were very excited when he was brought onto OLTL, especially me, but Ron mangled it very quickly. He clearly didn't have any interest in Ted King except as a foil for Roger Howarth and Kassie DePaiva, and invested nothing in the relationships and then wrote some stuff which made it impossible for the audience to invest in him as a serious romantic option (making him the man who had abducted Todd for the evil agency in 2003, etc - he had done a lot of awful things as a spy). He devolved into a scold for the characters people liked and had little to do by the end.

I love Ted King, but if GH was going to bring anyone on, then or now, it should've just been about bringing back Lorenzo.

• Members

For sure.  I was just thinking about continuity for the OLTL characters at the time.  I don't think it would be hard to bring Luis or Lorenzo back.  I actually think TK is pretty hit or miss, but did have really good chemistry with the people on GH

• Members

I would happily bring Lorenzo back, at least for an arc. I never bought his death. Tomas was a dud though. I'm still annoyed about how they squandered him on OLTL, because his entire introduction mystery (long story) was part of a long game for getting back Roger Howarth. It was actually very well done as a seeded series of clues involving a mysterious painting many months in advance and paid off spectacularly when Howarth's Todd finally came face to face with his loved ones with the art in his hands - Ron can still be good when he writes for moments - but ultimately it meant Ted King's character had no actual purpose or weight to him because they did not give him much decent to work with in the interim.

• Members

Definitely.  I always thought Crazy Luis was a better character though.  I guess not a character with any long term potential but I thought TK was fantastic as a psycho and had great chemistry with VM, TB, and RC plus he was very scary.

• Members

My favorite anniversary show will always be AMC's 20th - The remaining originals just sitting around and interacting, in character, as the present a sort of "This is what you missed in the first twenty years" clip show. What I love the most about it is how Erica, when surrounded by all of these much older characters who'd been with her since she was still a spoiled brat, couldn't help but release a little bit of her adultness and be that spoiled brat all over again. None of the character interactions were forced just for the sake of the concept - these were characters who'd had real relationships with one another for twenty years, and you absolutely believed that they could all be together that night just the way they were. Also, no annoying musical montages - just straight up flashbacks telling the story of the show's first two decades.

Though it was tarnished by residual baby switch mess, the 35th anniversary was good for all of the related scenes at the hospital. Agnes awkwardly stumbling through her lines with a big ass grin on her face (definitely saying "I made all of you bitches" under her breath) while Ruth Warrick rolls in to applause - it's just AMC af. Plus, it doesn't get much better than Bianca reading Mona's letter, though, ending with the AMC poem. It hits even harder all these years later as so many of the cast members who were so alive and vibrant are no longer with us now.

• Members

@All My ShadowsI agree, the 20th and the 25th are my favorites. I can’t even bring myself to watch that scene of Bianca reading Mona’s letter. Susan brings me to tears without saying a word. And she looks so damn good!

I had taped the week of the 25th so I watched those episodes after school. I didn’t  see the 20th until the late ‘90s one Saturday afternoon at the Paley Center in NYC. Sitting in my cozy little cubby watching Erica, Mona, Joe, Ruth, and Phoebe reminisce not far from where the episode was taped was very special.