Y&R March 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This week's SOD has an EB cover promising his most honest interview ever etc.

All he does is take a few potshots at the 'previous regime' (Mal Young?) who wanted to diminish Victor.

Praises the Ashland story.

Says Victor's lack of involvement in the Abby story is a case of only having a certain amount of time to get everything done.

Says he has no plans to retire.

• Members

No Mr Braeden was more restrained.

From the interview

Look, let’s be very honest. The last regime introduced things that no one gave a damn about, okay? Let’s call a spade a spade. No one gave a damn about some of those storylines, no-one, because they were not a part of the history of that show! I hate to say it, but obviously, the Newman empire is one of the main cornerstones of the show. What the last regime really wanted, to be frank with you, was to get rid of me and get rid of Melody[Thomas Scott, Nikki], if you want to know the truth.

• Members

This obsession he has with writers wanting to "diminish" Victor - something he has complained about in interview under various regimes for twenty years - is why we get the colossally boring Victor of today.
He doesn't lose, he doesn't have emotions or weakness, he knows everything and is always three steps ahead, he saves the day in storylines not his own.

There are no challenges, no layers, no rooting interest. And a powerful rich bully without any difficulty easily comes off as an a*****e. 

He is a dull caricature. I lay that squarely down at EB's antiquated notion of what makes a man "a man".
And at Heather Tom leaving. Victoria slapping Victor in anger then recoiling with shock at what she had done was the apex of what that relationship should be - and what the actual rivalry of his latter years, loving and yet complicated should have been.

• Members

Exactly.

Eric Braeden: It was about high time! Hightime. I think it’s one of the best storylines that I’ve had in years.
Digest: Tell me why you think it’s so
successful.
Braeden: Because it’s all very real, meaning,one understands that Victoria would fall for a good-looking guy like that with a lot of money; one would understand how she, being Victor Newman’s daughter, would have certain Machiavellian tendencies, meaning she sees the possibility of a merger between Locke’s company and
Newman. She sees all that and at the same time, he’s a good-looking guy with a lot of money and she fell for
him. But the real Machiavellian, of course, is Victor [laughs]! Victor,on one hand, has very paternal,fatherly feelings, wants his daughterto be happy, is happy that she’s out of Billy Boy’s clutches, yethe, too, is beginning to smell a certain rat.

He doesn’t quite trust him and is very aware of it and of course, his fatherly instincts of wanting to protect his daughter are stronger than almost anything. And to protect his business. So, he’s not stupid!
Victor is a chess player. He’s about two, three, four moves ahead of everyone else. So it all makes sense, psychological sense. Sound sense.
That’s why I think it’s such a brilliant storyline because it’s one where you can do long-term planning.

But Victor was totally Team Ashland before this.Where was his innate sixth sense then,when he walked Victoria down the aisle?

• Members

Camryn Grimes on the Locher room.

He starts the video out saying Camryn debuted on Y&R as "Cassie Copeland".  Srsly dude? WTF. Cassie never had the name Copeland.

Cassie was raised by Alice Johnson until she was found by Grace for Sharon.

Mariah was raised by Helen Copeland and a cult.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet. I simply turned it on to make sure I had the right link and heard Alan's gaffe.  I will watch later.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Digest: Fans found it surprising that Abby
didn’t include Victor in some of the things
going on with her, that Victor would have
wanted to take charge and help her with the
Chance situation or the Dominic situation. Did
you have an opinion on that?
Braeden (laughs): We only have so many hours
a day to shoot this stuff! It would be too far-flung
right now, I’d be involved in too many things, I
guess. Melissa [Ordway, Abby] is another wonderful
actress to work with, and I think the fellow
who plays her husband now [Conner Floyd] is
also doing a very good job, he really is.

• Members

Braeden: Of course, it’s crazy! You must remember that people who come onto the show as new executive producers have their own egos, and they think they can rewrite it, they can redo it all. What they don’t
understand is that [Co-Creator/Former Head Writer] Bill Bell was a brilliant man who
laid a very sound foundation, and if you want to veer away from that foundation, it willbegin to flounder. That’s all I’m going to say.
Digest: Well, I must say how much I enjoy Victor hiring Michael and those two characters being back in the same sphere.
Braeden: It’s well-written! It really is all very good, very natural, makes a lot of sense. Other storylines make no sense, introduced by the former regime, names that will remain nameless.