• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, which never sounded very exciting.  If I had my way Bo would turn up alive and they just are happily living together off screen.  They could be in witness protection or something to explain their absence.  Unfortunately KA never was able to create much chemistry with her non-Bo love interests, although I did think her and DC were cute until that was ruined.

• Members

KA played Hope more severely after Zach's death. That combined with the cop business sort of wrung Hope's charisma.

I wasn't watching a ton when Cosgrove was on but he and Kristian had chemistry. I liked when he tried to kill Hope though.

Please register in order to view this content

Is Colleen Zenk working? She'd make an interesting Vivian if Louise won't do it.

• Members

There was something brittle about her performance in her 90's return.  I actually blame some of that on her weight loss.  She was gorgeous but it gave her a harder look.  I am not sure if her being a supermodel or a cop is a worse career choice for her.   I don't know why every soap had to have a supermodel in their cast in the 90's.  

Her and Cosgrove were actually cute together until the show ruined it.  I rag on Hope a lot but she got some really bad stories.   But leaving the show permanently when she was just going to be 'rested' for a few months rubs me the wrong way.

• Members

I liked Cosgrove and Alfonso too, and I echo that it's a shame that they ruined such a relationship. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I actually liked Hope and Giles Marini's character Ted Laurent. I liked the contrast of commissioner/cop Hope Brady getting involved with a character who had questionable morals but on the rare occasion did the right thing (similar to Jack Devereaux). 

• Members

A lot of us have said it before, I think: Kristian was a natural in the madam role she played on Melrose Place around that time. Hard, brittle and dark was her gear. I saw her there first, and did not buy it as a kid when she turned up on DAYS not long after supposedly playing an earth mother and wife. I never have really bought it since. Gina/Princess Gina, etc. keeps being brought back bc it's what she's more suited for as an older woman. The problem is Hope is expected to be a straight-line heroine, and Kristian onscreen is more nuanced than that.

In any event, I think the show did her dirty and no, they should never recast. It would be doomed to fail.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I agree and disagree.  I do think she's more suited to harder/darker roles.  KA herself seems to enjoy playing that more and she has that exotic sort of look that works for that as well.  But, I do think there was an earnestness/warmth to her 80's portrayal of Hope that was lost along the way.  I am in no way advocating for a recast, but KA seemed checked out for years before she left.  Like, I think Dee's acting has regressed ten fold over the years, but she doesn't seem bored or over it the way KA did.  And listen, I don't fault the woman.  KA started playing Hope as a teen-it probably does get stale after awhile.  I don't think the show really did her dirty though.  I think Corday bent over backwards to make her continually relevant throughout the years.