Late (er) in life coming out...which soap characters would be suitable?

• Members

Agree.

For example: I could buy Esther (also on Y&R) being a lesbian, since I don't think the show has ever explored her beyond her being Kay's longtime maid and confidante (ONS with Tiny, the Plumber notwithstanding).  And I could buy her gradually developing an unrequited love for Jill.  But if you told me that Jill decided one afternoon to reciprocate Esther's feelings....

ETA: Never mind, I forget about Esther's ill-fated relationship with Mark Haining's character.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Exactly.

But, you're basing that on your feelings toward Michael Damian and not on anything that Bill Bell actually built into the character.  Was MD ever convincing in Danny's relationships with Christine or Phyllis (or Patty or Traci or Lauren)?  No.  However, Bell never intended for us to think it was because Danny was actually gay.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The ship has sailed on this one but at some point I could see

Casey Reed (Y&R) as a lesbian.

She had issues with sex and relationships and focused on her career. It would be believable if after a few years away, she would have returned to GC and announced she was gay.

• Members

Jack, DOOL. After being killed off a bunch of times and having his organs donated, he finally realises that life is too short and opens up an LGBT friendly chicken place in the Horton Town Square.

But in all seriousness, I do agree with what a lot of people have said - the difficulty is that you'll inevitable say that the characters previous "love of a lifetime" pairings weren't so true at all. I think it would work best for someone who either has been a constant presence, but never really had much focus with their own storylines or someone whose "straight" pairings have failed and maybe has been more of the buddy/best friend schemer rather than the passionate love of a lifetime thing (Lucas does fit here, as did Sami before the EJ pairing took off).

And don't get me wrong, I like Lucas and Sami and don't necessarily think all soap pairings have to have that intense "love in the afternoon" passion.

Edited by te.

• Members

I wasn't into the Labine idea with Holly as I think it was initially described - my understanding is she was supposed to fall for Olivia who wouldn't be into her. I don't need another riff on The Children's Hour with a lonely pining lesbian, especially as strong a character as Holly. Could I buy bisexual Holly today? Absolutely.

Edited by Vee

• Members

How about Aunt Liz on AW?

Widowed quite young, she never remarried and it seems quite believable that a woman of her generation would deny her sexuality, especially in her original incaranation, when she was depicted as a very unhappy woman.

Later, she was loveable busy body. Perhaps in  her time away from Bay City she had some 'experiences' that changed her somewhat...

Maybe her obsession with other people's love lives was a way of not confronting some truths about herself?

Edited by Paul Raven