Y&R January 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes! Her name was Abby Carlton!   I can *maybe* see adding Newman but never removing Carlton.
She lived in Brad's house for a while, yet doesn't use his name. What? He was her dad.

Her first name Abby has always been her legal first name (never Abigail).  Ashley named her "Abby" for Abbott. They showed this onscreen. 
So stupid that Abby added Abbott to her last name when she got married, to make it
Abby Newman-Abbott-Chancellor.
Abby stated on screen last year that this would be her new name, and that's how M.O. appears in the closing credits.

I think Newman should her middle name, and then her married surname should be Carlton-Chancellor.  The Abbott name is contained within her first name Abby.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

When Griffith writes something worth praising, I'll be the first to praise him.

Maybe he can post a shopping list.  Or a take out order.

Comparing the way Bill Bell could thread a story over several years  like Mike Horton's parentage, (Days), or the Cassandra Rawlins story to Griffith's  lame, drama-free tales is comparing apples to raisins.

Sorry. 

In the other room and the office, along with Imani's father, unseen Eric.

• Members

Even the best have bad periods and make wrong choices. It is VERY untrue that Bill Bell "cannot" be criticized; go to the Y&R Old Articles section and you will see people discuss at length the bad calls BB made at times.
But BB's entire career is a huge success and he had proved his talent more than once.
I have yet to see anything even briefly comparable from JG and he has been writing the show long enough that being infuriated by the state of the show is entirely fair game. No excuses.

And I don't know what being a nice person has to do with whether the show he is writing is any good. I am sure he is lovely person and maybe we'd be friends. So what?

The writing for Y&R has been dreadful with almost zero saving graces. Even accounting for the constraints he is under - and I realize that things like everything happening at the hotel isn't his creative choice but a budget it - he is still blowing it.

• Members

Marlena De La Croix joins the conversation on "Y&R"'s current state:     

“Young and Restless”: Such a Disappointment

By Marlena De Lacroix a.k.a. Connie Passalacqua Hayman

Marlena has been away a long time – but has never stopped watching our beloved soaps. And of course, during my absence I’ve never stopped thinking of my wonderfully devoted fans. I welcome you back to this blog, now as ever a labor of pure love.

I’m so sorry to come back on a negative note. But I am mightily disappointed in the current state of “The Young and the Restless,” a show I have watched since its inception in 1973. CBS’ number one rated soap for decades, “Y&R” is still beautifully produced and well-cast. As co-created by the late William J. Bell and his wife Lee Phillip Bell, this show has never been anything less than first class daytime drama.

But – here Marlena must use a word she has NEVER used in all her decades as a soap journalist – the “Y&R” of today is simply boring.

An hour of it drags by with little excitement. The pace is maddeningly slow. The stories don’t move. Good actors playing potentially engaging characters just look at each other and talk. The burden is on them alone to give the show what appeal it has.

Why is Abby (played by Melissa Ordway) crying all the time? True enough, tears are a soap opera staple. When soaps were created in the 1930s they were called “washboard weepies.” But what does she have to cry about? She finally has her wonderful baby Dominic, and her husband Chance is back from oblivion. (As played by Connor Floyd, a very impressive newcomer, the actor is a real plus for this show.) And any storyline that includes the kindly Devon (played by the always terrific Bryton James), who isn’t sure about the fatherhood of the baby he loves so much, should be a lot more moving.

On a more positive note: It’s encouraging to see how diligently this expert cast is working to breathe life into this lackluster writing. And it is good to see a rare love story among older characters.

Joining the estimable Ms. Ordway and Mr. Floyd is Richard Burgi, greatly admired by many since he played the clever and intense Chad Rollo on “Another World.” Here he plays scene stealer Ashland Locke, the relatively new husband of Victoria (played by Amelia Heinle). Is he a real villain or we supposed to root for him because he’s married into a core “Y&R” family? To use an ancient soap opera term, he’s a villain who stirs the pot – vigorously, here, doing what he can to help. Unfortunately, Mr. Burgi has announced he is leaving the show. He’ll be replaced by Robert Newman, who played Josh Lewis on “Guiding Light.”

Indeed, all is not lost in Genoa City. How great it is to see the always energetic Melissa Claire Egan (who plays Chelsea Lawson) back from maternity leave. I’m really liking the pairing of Billy (JasonThompson) and Lily (Christal Khalil) as mature lovers who live together in harmony. (Why do I keep thinking of Lily as the teen she once was?) And what a wonderfully touching pairing “Y&R” has in Tess (Cait Fairbanks) and Mariah (Camryn Grimes).

A show can be beautifully produced and well-cast, but on soaps the writing always has been the key. In the past, headwriter Josh Griffith did his best work with Michael Malone on “One Life to Live.” But his work here most curiously lacks energy. To be blunt, “Y&R” isn’t the least bit exciting. And that’s a tragedy for a soap that has never in its long history been hard to watch.

So, mon cher fans: What do you think of the current state of “The Young and the Restless”? Please leave your comments and I’m sure to get back to you.

So glad to see you all again. Belated Happy New Year 2022 from my husband Moose Goodfellow and our beagle boy Nigel Bartholomew-Smythe.

https://marlenadelacroix.com/2022/01/young-and-restless-such-a-disappointment/