Patrick Mulcahey interview

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He talks about his time on Santa Barbara.

All this and he never asked the right questions. The interruptions by Alan were horrible. It was like he was doing it on purpose. 

It's obvious he enjoyed working with Guza and Wendy Riche but didn't care for the diva cast.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

It's too bad about the technical issues, because Patrick Mulcahey knows how to tell a compelling story about his life experience. I loved his soap writing for the most part and dearly wish he was still on soaps. But Daytime is actively NOT looking for talent, so...

Looking forward to the Santa Barbara and GH parts (still on Guiding Light and Marland). I'd really like to know how he felt about Guza. Bob Guza was reviled by a large portion of the GH fandom by the end, for many reasons, but a lot of his core team of writers, including Michelle Val Jean, have always defended him loyally.

Also interested to hear what he thinks about Bradley Bell's 'talents' (!).

• Members

He pinpoints Reign Edwards as an actress he loved. B&B did her dirty. She could have easily been a lead on that show.

He says aspiring soap writers should hitch their wagons to serials being made for Amazon, YouTube, etc., as he’s not optimistic for the network shows. Pointed out EastSiders (with Van Hansis and Constance Wu) as an example, a show I really liked in its first season, but the second season lost me.

He says he was “not very nice” to Anne Howard Bailey on SB and Richard Culliton on GH.

What’s funny is that Alan actually showed *some* restraint in this interview, but still it’s like he has no intuition about interacting with people in interviews.

LMAO. Patrick is kinda dragging Tony Geary (in a subtle way).

When Patrick was talking about managing egos on GH, Alan interrupted him with a mention of the 40th anniversary of Luke and Laura. Gawd.

Hilarious that he and his husband are both named Patrick Mulcahey (his husband is named Patrick and took PM’s last name).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

GH: The do not write kissing scenes for Luke & Laura and this 1996-1999. I wonder if that was Geary more than Francis. 

I always felt that since GH Fed up Bill Eckert, Geary alwaus resented his Luke & Laura Part 2 1993-02 and thats why when Genie quit, there was that sshift where Luke became an absent Dad and all about the adventures and Cons & him being good with writing that Luke cheated on Laura with Holly and created Ethan.

Edited by John

• Members

There's a very specific allegation about why there were no kissing scenes for L&L in that period dating back to a book published in 2002 by noted critic Martha Nochimson, which I think is probably unfortunately true and I think all the parties involved regret it today. One of the key sources for the book was, allegedly, Mulcahey.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Patrick telling a compelling personal story of being committed to a psych ward by his parents for being gay- 

Alan- "Hey Patrick, I'm gonna have to kick you off for a moment..."

These constant technical problems, coupled with bad interview technique, I don't think I'll be able to hang with this interview.