Candyman (2021)

Vee

• Members

I figured I might as well make a thread so we can get our reactions in. (Or just me)

Saw it today. It's very good, better than even I'd hoped. The music is almost a match for Philip Glass' classic score, and Nia DaCosta (whose debut film, Little Woods, I found just okay) did stunning work as a director, you can see why Marvel immediately called her for Captain Marvel 2 - the horror/kill scenes are a work of art. But the best thing about is the social/class/culture commentary, even more pointed than the original. Some critics, like Angelica Jade Bastien at Vulture (who often hates everything) found it too didactic; I thought it was amazingly layered.

Vanessa Williams' return was great - she still looks amazing and was heartbreakingly on point. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II's every micro-expression was spellbinding to me. How Bastien can say he did a poor job is beyond me. Teyonah Parris was incredible as well, and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett was hysterical and completely different from what he typically plays. Colman Domingo is always stellar.

I had a copy of the early Jordan Peele and co. draft. The final film was considerably different from that version, but it wouldn’t have been appropriate to do what that did. A lot of the characters and beats are the same, but in the original script (SPOILERS for the movie):

Please register in order to view this content

I think this revival was very nearly the equal of the original film, and that's about all I can ask for. Excellent.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I won't lie. I wasn't that thrilled when i heard about this film coming out. I'm just over this message heavy era we are in, when it comes to films for a certain audience. Especially for the horror genre i just want a good old-fashioned slasher. With that being said I do plan to view the film real soon though. I adored the first Candyman and enjoyed the second one too!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DemetriKane