DAYS: June 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Forget Paulina, give Marlena her gorgeous penthouse back.  Since half the town lives in that townhouse with the world's smallest living room.

I didn't mind Allie/Marlena today, but they keep missing the opportunity for Marlena and Sami to give advice about how they got thru their rapes.  The show clings on to Kayla/Ciara's rapes, but never brings up Marlena's when it is 100% relevant to the conversation.

Also, I hate the way Allie dresses.  It's just ugly even if some of what she is wearing is on trend.

The sad thing about Jarlena's townhouse. it's one of the nicer looking sets. Paulina's new apartment. Is a mesh up of Ava and Charlie's apartments. I did like the top Allie had on. Which she covered up with that ugly sweater. I'm pretty sure Ron C has no idea who Kellam Chandler was.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Tbh, I am not sure if Marlena's rape is even a canon now.  She hasn't mentioned in years and years.  But there is something to 3 generations of females in a family being raped that could be played into story.

Jarlena's townhouse is a decent set a would be fine for just Jarlena, but when the have unlimited guests at all times and refer to a 'back entrance' it's not even believable with how small the living room is.  I agree it would be nice for Paulina to have something more lavish looking even if it's just the decor.

I don't know what it is about what Allie wears but it looks childish and frumpy at the same time.  I am not saying she has to go full on sexy like Ciara and Gabi dress, but she could have ditched the sweater like you said and the hair clip.   But Kayla was dressed like a cross between a school girl and Colonel Sanders today so Idk..

• Members

As much as I enjoy seeing Paul Telfer shirtless lol, I really am starting to think that in a few years, he’s going to have his own #metoo story about Ron Carlivati 

I’m not entirely shipping them, but I am enjoying the storyline. It’s realistic and I do have to give the show credit for doing something somewhat different. 

And personally, I find it refreshing to see a storyline like that on a soap

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Sometimes I wonder if soaps being reluctant to refer to some events of the past doesn't have something to do with not wanting to remind the audience of how often stories seem to "recur".
As people who buy the DOOL continuity and suspend our disbelief, we see potential in the fact three generations of women were raped and how it can help shape some nice interesting scenes.

For a more casual executive, this tidbit might sound both ridiculous ("let's not remind the audience of it") and actually potentially offensive ("Let's not point out the fact most of our female leads have been written a rape story at one point or another").

• Members

I actually did think of that and agree, especially since Days is notorious for having their female leads raped.   I get talking about Kayla, Ciara, Allie, Marlena, and Sami being raped is a lot.  Didn't Jan mention her rape to in regards to killing Charlie too?

I just think it's a use of history Days is missing. Although Marlena's rape was actually very plot-pointy/unnecessary at the time and hasn't really been used in story since early Roman/Marlena, so it's understandable.  It's not even in the top 10 worst things to happen to Marlena lol..

• Members

I’m just thinking back to #metoo (around 2017) when a lot of people, mostly women, revealed they’d been the victim of some kind of sexual abuse or assault. For a soap like DAYS, with so many rape survivors, that could have been a moment—one relevant to real-life conversations at the time—to address that. The problem is they play too fast and loose with abusers-turned-heartthrobs.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

That's an very interesting idea too.  I know Marlena ran a rape survivor group in the 80's.  It could have great tv for the survivors to share their stories with Marlena leading it.  But that's not a very Days thing to do.