DAYS: June 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tripp should be a good guy, but with a bit of a edge (rough childhood, held a scalpel to Kayla's throat, etc); unfortunately Ron does not know how to write such characters without making them one extreme or the other (boringly too good; or outright psycho). 

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

I of course am most interested in grey characters but just the same way we need villains to advance story at times, any show needs genuinely good characters, even if it means they are slightly boring.

That's why I had a high tolerance for Carrie back in the day or for the snoozey Belle/Shawn coupling. We cannot have everyone have enormous baggage. There needs to be balance.

So I am fine with them establishing Tripp as a bland but likeable good guy leading man. Not everyone can or should be a villain and I prefer slightly boring to recycling serial killers, if you know what I mean.

• Members

^^^I love Carrie.  I think she should still be on the show at least when Sami is on.  Carrie>>>>Belle.

I like the idea of Allie/Chanel/Tripp.  All the characters don't bother me and, while I don't think any of them have a ton of chemistry, at least it's something different. 

Am I the only one kind of bothered Chanel and Allie got Alice's donut recipe?  I know Allie is a Horton, but those two are going to profit off of Alice's famous recipe?  Not into it.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Also, we all noticed how watered-down Will had become, and even former serial killer Ben is now a self-pitying, neurotic Mary Sue. They’ve become neutered. Basically, the guys are pretty vanilla aside from Xander and the villain du jour (currently Michael Lowry’s character), while the ladies get to have all the fun (Gabi, Kate, Sami, Abby, et al. aren’t out-and-out villains but they get to scheme and be witheringly funny). Not entirely shocking for a female genre, but still… would it hurt to have preserved some of Tripp’s early ne’er-do-well energy while still making him generally a decent guy?

• Members

I find Tripp to just be the most bland and boring character on the canvas. I’ve never had a connection with the character or cared about anything he did.

Xander is a perfectly grey character and I find him quite enjoyable.

And because I haven’t said it this week. I still don’t like nuClaire at all. I felt nothing for her when she was kidnapped. I just don’t think I’m ever going to accept her.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Me too.  I am surprised Maggie (in her Horton days) didn't try it, especially with her interest in restaurants.  

I wouldn't have a problem with it if Allie was really interested and into baking, but she literally only did it for Chanel.   Allie/Chanel aren't doing it to pass on a tradition or anything.  They are just in it for profit.