LGBTQ Representation on Daytime Soaps

• Members

I personally am getting to the point that a show shouldn't write for gay characters if there isn't a gay on the writing staff. And then I remember "Felix" on GH and his first few scenes and how much I found the writing repulsive. That said, I also know that any gay character will offend a gay audience member. The scenes between Paul and Will a few pages back made me cringe as I have never EVER heard someone ask a guy if they are gay in that manner. I'm not sure about others but when I try to figure that out I check out their social media accounts. Either that, or I have someone ask for me.

I feel that the best way is to create two, make them siblings. And have both of them on either end of the spectrum. One being flamboyant and the other being subtle. Most importantly, of course, is to explain WHY these personality traits exist.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It would actually be pretty interesting to do that. It would be something new and realistic and would add a very different dynamic to that typical gay storyline that we've all seen on soaps.

Bill Bell loved to do two siblings in love with the same person. That could be done here as well.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I've been watching the novela Querelo todo off and on. On Monday one of the male characters

Is proposing to his gf. Five males some cowboys are watching. One of them says who is the guy trying to fool? He doesn't like females. He is gay. I'm going to prove it. The other guys laugh and say ah you want him. Since then that story hasn't been seen. 

• Members

The gay siblings will certainly be something new, and exciting to watch. I would love to write that storyline myself, it’s something very close to my heart tbh. Since I live it everyday, so I feel I can add new dimensions and bring a realism to it. Something I feel has been missing from the gay portrayals, and soaps in general! You can use it as a umbrella and usher in many more gay characters. So it’s not so isolated too!

OLTL and AMC  are the only soaps I would trust to do it right! I don’t think they’ll play it too safe, it brings too many interesting dynamics to play it safe imo. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm excited to see where it could go... I wonder if it's to replace Britt Westbourne as Chief of Staff... with Cyrus' financial control of General Hospital done, I wonder if the Quartermaines or another backer is funding the hospital, and allowing changes to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

More proof Josh Griffith is sh*t in his roles, as well as Anthony Morina.

HOWEVER, I also believe just because it was Pride Month does not mean LGBTQ+ should automatically appear.
Though, it would be nice for soaps to acknowledge Pride Month in some way, but that should not be an immediate month to put your characters in that position, and then let them slide elsewhere.

• Members

Oh yes I totally agree.

I think that tweet was simply pointing out that not only does Y&R blatantly ignore the Mariah/Tessa relationship all year long, they didn't even show them during June.

Edited by janea4old