Our kind of people

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On Tubi, I caught the first (only?) Season of this series.

The writing struck me as being a level above Empire, the last predominantly Black cast series that I watched on Fox. Similar to Empire though, the pacing of stories was a bit unbalanced. That final episode was an example of how awry the pacing had gone.

If they get a second series, they're going to need to bring back Nadine Ellis though, because the show needs a strong female co-lead because as much as I love Yaya, she can't shoulder the lead on her own.

Debbi Morgan continues to shine in whatever role she's in and that cameo with Darnell, well...hand and glove, is all I'm going to say.

After seeing her character get killed off in Insecure, it was great to see the L. Scott Caldwell return in a whole different character. She reminded me of a more malevolent version of Stephanie Forrester.

Joe Morton, as much as I would welcome him playing a different kind of character, he does the complex character who has a difficult father-daughter relationship so well.

That ripoff of the Solange-Jay Z and Beyonce elevator fracas made me giggle.

It wasn't that bad. I saw a lot of those reversals coming, including the one in the season finale but I was reasonably entertained.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...