Our kind of people

• Members

I had an issue with the tempo of the pilot but I think episodes 2-4 have been better paced as such (though I still wish they would stretch out things a bit more). My biggest issue is that the writing just isn't very good - when they try to make some sort of political commentary it always come across as rather forced. I don't remember feeling this way with Empire or Star, even when they were quite badly plotted.

If anything their attempts to do social/political commentary comes off as the recent "vax" episode of DAYS - just weird and shoe-horned in. There's something that quite won't gel with this show.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched the 1st 3 episodes last night.

Pacing is too fast, too many plot twists crammed into each episode with little to no time to show the results.

And rule #1, viewers need to care about the characters in order to make the twists work.

I'm not saying slow the pace down like in the 80s, but allow viewers time to know the characters before throwing plot twists at us.

Lastly, is there a soap writer on staff?  If not, the show needs to employ one stat.

• Members

I think they were always going to be rather short runs, at least Our Kind of People since Monarch was always coming. I guess if OKoP had somehow been a huge hit they might've shuttled off Joe Millionaire and put Monarch on Thursdays though.

Big Leap is dead as a doornail, but I'd say a season 2 is a toss-up at this point for OKoP. Really depends on how Cleaning Lady and Monarch performs.

• 2 months later...