Harry and Meghan Interview with Oprah

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some of you are wilding out in this thread. Seriously.

Like, I said, I speak to my own experience, no one else's. I spent months studying in London when I was younger, so I have first-hand experience there too.

I have no delusions about what America is. Also, I have no delusions about England is. Both are f*ucking racist countries.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yet, if William and/or Kate were to come out publicly against "the Firm," you, and others like you, would believe them automatically, without ever questioning whether there was another side to their story.  And that is part of Harry and Meghan's overall point: that the media and the public (whose opinions have been colored largely by the media) afford William, Kate and everyone else within the BRF a luxury (the benefit of the doubt) that they refuse to afford Harry and Meghan; and that instead of defending the two from the terrible tabloids, the royals, for whatever reason, would rather hang them out to dry. 

It doesn't matter whether Meghan is, in fact, a money-grubbing b***h.  I'm sure there are nefarious folks a-plenty in that family.  Yet, the family seems more willing to protect the other ne'er-do-wells than they are willing to protect Meghan...and now, more than ever, it's painfully obvious why.

Exactly.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It obvious the Royal family didn't like Meghan from the beginning. After their marriage the Royal family made Meghan life a living hell. Yes, the Royal family are racists. And I think it was William and Charles who had that talk with Harry. 

But as Blanche Deveraux would say...Meghan is a gold digging hussy! 

Btw..I miss fun loving club hopping pole dancing birthday suit Harry. He looked so sad in the interview.

• Members

I've heard that said about other African-Americans in the past: so-and-so "didn't grow up black."  Which means...what, exactly?  They weren't raised in "da 'hood"?  As if that's the only way you can/should raise a black child.

I grew up in the suburbs and attended predominantly white public schools.  Does that mean I've never encountered racism, or that I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the subject?

I'm not directing these questions to you, by the way, @JaneAusten.  I'm just upset, because this strikes at the heart of an issue that I've had to carry with me since childhood: the fact that some will automatically hate me because I'm black, while others will dismiss me and/or my perspective because, to them, I'm not the "right kind of black."

• Members

The reality is that those Netflix and Spotify deals will likely net double what Harry's inheritance from his mother gave him.

If Meghan is a gold-diggers, then she's a damn good one because she's bringing up gold Harry didn't even have before he met her.

Shiiiiit, can I get that type of gold-digger too?!

• Members

Exactly.  Look at when Diane Sawyer interviewed Whitney Houston, or Britney Spears, or Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley.  Sure, everyone's questioning how Diane handled Britney NOW, but what about when that interview first aired?  Did anyone else in the media take Diane to task for how she handled those interviews and others?  But, because she was white, she always got a pass (or she did until the Britney documentary premiered, lol).

• Members

My mother attended university with a white woman who told her that she had "a white education" because my mother was quite good in the class they were in together. Even a lot of black people take this view. If anything racism is worse for black people who live in white, middle to upper income areas than it is for those in low income, heavily black areas.

• Members

Agree.  If her mother (from Crenshaw) never educated her about racism, then she failed in her duty as the mother of a biracial child.  People like Bill Maher and Megyn Kelly believe you shouldn't burden your children with race when they're still so young, but they don't understand that being black or brown in America doesn't leave any other choice.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It is in a lot of ways.

As I guess one of the few (maybe the only one?) posting here who technically lives under the monarchy, all I'm going to add to this conversation is that a lot people here and in our press seem to be on the royals' side this time. I'm surprised tbh with the support I'm seeing, not so much from the more traditional side, but also from people who normally don’t care for the monarchy. I'd say its about half and half and that surprises me. 

I think this will ultimately only end up being damaging in the US. I think a lot people in the rest of the world will see it as being rude or impolite, especially towards the Queen and the family (and that's even people that maybe are on Meghan and Harry's side).