Harry and Meghan Interview with Oprah

• Members

This clip was not part of the interview but very interesting. I think Harry is or maybe was naive about British society and culture. This was a wakeup call for him for sure.

I also don't understand those defending the monarchy on this. With The Commonwealth being celebrated, do people realize the population demographics of a good number of the countries that are part of it.  I believe Meghan and Harry initially asked if they could go live in one of those countries and fill their roles there and they were told no. Could you imagine the monarchy being this shortsighted. 

It's available on the CBS Website

Watch Oprah With Meghan And Harry: A CBS Primetime Special Season 2021 Episode 1: CBS Presents Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A Primetime Special - Full show on CBS

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Don't forget the persistent rumors that James Hewitt is in fact Harry's bio dad. 

Please register in order to view this content

I think it was either William, or that ghoulish-looking Prince Philip.  

Edited by Khan

• Members

If you look at the statement I was responding to (see below), you'll know what I meant.

Harry and Meghan are telling their story, how they experienced things. That doesn't necessarily mean that what they're saying is completely true. It's their truth, told from their point of view.

There are always two sides to every story, and we only get one side in this interview.

I'm not going to deny the possible existence of racism within the Royal family, because I don't know. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it exists. And Meghan obviously did face racism from the press, which is unforgivable, no question about that.

But at the same time I'm not going to take Harry's and Meghan's words as the absolute truth. I'm too cynical to believe that they did this interview without an agenda.

At the end of the day some people will believe them wholeheartedly, some won't. Some will probably put the blame on Meghan, accusing her of forcing Harry to break with his family. Some will blame Kate or William or Charles or the press or the institution of monarchy. 

• Members

The more time passes the more I realize how phony so much of their narrative has been due to likely cozy relationships with the press from the palace and the Middletons, from that whole story (which I think is now downplayed as it's so cringey) about her wearing a bikini at a fashion show to win him back, or whatever, to the attempts to make Pippa a big name and sex symbol, the cover-up of very damaging affair allegations, etc. The narrative of Kate and William being just like us, which really hasn't rung true, as they both seem so ill at ease and tone deaf they tend to be (I think Kate was going on last year about how hard it is for mothers now and included herself in that in spite of various nannies...). I try not to go with the mindset of good brother/bad brother, but there's just something about William that seems completely shut down - I know Charles is responsible for much of why his sons are the way they are, but it's sad to see that even Charles has more life or humanity to him than William when William is 35 years his junior.

(I know they have to do that to survive, but William seemingly being so chummy with the Tories doesn't help my opinion)

• Members

I've already seen talking points from some people about how Meghan is "exploiting" racism and that what happened to her is not "real" racism. It brings back many of the old arguments surrounding Meghan from when this started (as there were so many debates about why black women should even care about or see her as someone to aspire to), and is being used to try to drown out the points she made. That polarization, and the whole mindset of "why should we care about this rich Hollywood actress," will probably continue to work in their favor, but in the long term this does, as you say, completely demolish the well-crafted media image of how the family was moving with the times and also took away much of the vibrancy and humor Harry brought. They are now left with various dull, sour people trying to pretend that they don't hate being among the public. The connection to the average British person is now just left with the Queen, who is over 90 years old. 

• Members

Actually no there are not always two sides to every story. That mindset is the reason the US still sits on a possible move into fascism is because our own media and press corp treat people who spread outright lies about election results for example as the other side of an issue when it's an outright lie.

• Members

This is the article from Buzzfeed that has the 20 headline stories covering Kate and Meghan and how they were approached differently between the two

For those of you here who seem to think Meghan is some master manipulator, if TRF was so in support of Meghan and Harry, I'd like one example where any of them stepped forward to contradict any of this. Enablement is complicity. And they were in on it. I frankly would not trust any of them at this point. As by the way they still all cover for Andrew who is an actual criminal.

Meghan Markle And Prince Harry UK Royal Reporters Coverage Compared To Kate Middleton And Prince William (buzzfeednews.com)

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

How is that even the same thing? 

Please register in order to view this content

Frankly the feeling I'm getting is that most people here had already made up their mind even before watching the interview that whatever Harry and Meghan were going to say would be the undeniable truth.

I don't doubt that if for example William and Kate now did an interview refuting what Harry and Meghan said noone would believe them. They would be accused of lying and everyone (or most anyway) would belive Harry's and Meghan's version even without any solid proof simply because they like them better than they like William and Kate.

We simply don't know what went on behind the scenes, and there is not one single truth. Kate might have been a cold, snooty bitch, jealous that Meghan was stealing the limelight; or Meghan might have made a complete nuisance of herself expecting everyone to indulge her every whim. William might have been jealous that Harry had found someone to love while he's stuck in a loveless marriage to Kate, or Charles might have favoured William over Harry and felt that Meghan was wrong for his youngest son. There's an endless list of possible scenarios.

And it could be a little bit of each and every one of those scenarios.

All of the people involved have their own version of events and they're all equally valid.

• Members

I don't know how you can possibly expect institutional racism to not be a legitimately real thing in a centuries-old white monarchy, but at least you have your own voice and I'm not expected to read low quality screencaps of tweets from nobodies I don't know or care about who aren't posting here.

Edited by Vee

I totally believe she was a victim of racism. By those inbred royals. I also think she is milking it for all it's worth. Is that a bad thing no.  I'm Hispanic so i know a thing or two about racism hunty. You don't want to see my low quality screencaps block me. I know i will always be NOTHING. I don't need some stuck up witch to remind me.

Edited by victoria foxton