Jump to content

All Soaps: Unpopular Actors/Characters that you don't mind


Recommended Posts

As I see posts about these two a lot I wanted to share my top 2.

 

Melissa Ordway Y&R- Abby Newman:  Without fail, at least multiple times a month I see complaints about her portrayal along with the character of Abby. Honestly she's never bothered me and I like her so so much more than Emme Rylan, whose Abby was unwatchable to me.

 

Joshua Morrow Y&R Nick Newman: This one always baffles me. I've seen calls for recasts and everything. I can't honestly see someone else playing Nick and his portrayal has never bothered me. I think he has excellent chemistry with his family and most of the women he's been paired with outside of Chelsea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R) - I think Chelsea is a terribly written character who could leave Genoa City without notice, but MCE is a genuinely good actress. We’ve seen many many many strong actors felled by weak characters (Sarah Brown, anyone), and even Saoirse Ronan couldn’t save Chelsea.

 

Freddie Smith (Sonny, DAYS) - No doubt he got lazy the last few years, but I think he’s talented.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree about Josh Morrow.  I’ve always found him attractive, and a competent soap male actor.  Back in the day I thought he had great chemistry with his family, especially Sharon and Heather’s Victoria.

 

I think the real missing piece that used to be subtext and should have informed his character is that he was more like Nikki (the version that had little ambition and hung around the ranch all day, not her younger self) and Victoria was more like Victor.  And there was so much ground to cover with Victor trying to force Nick into Newman, and not Victoria’s clear talents.

 

 

SB’s Jason on GH is still a favorite.  Again, I do think he is attractive, and he has had some real good acting moments in his tenure on the show.  He had/has intense chemistry with a lot of people, including all of the Carly’s (which LW and MB do not have).  He had several pairings that worked and can drive story without Sonny.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Freddie Smith (Sonny, DAYS) - No doubt he got lazy the last few years, but I think he’s talented.

 

The vitriol directed at Freddie Smith is a lot of projection. The man gained weight over a decade so of course he shouldn't be with America's favorite twink.

 

30 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

Melissa Ordway Y&R- Abby Newman:  Without fail, at least multiple times a month I see complaints about her portrayal along with the character of Abby. Honestly she's never bothered me and I like her so so much more than Emme Rylan, whose Abby was unwatchable to me.

 

I don't think a lot of that is directed at her, her look and portrayal actually resemble a tried and true Y&R formula but the character is aimless and seems to be rebooted with every new regime. All of her relationships are treated like they're her first. She doesn't learn or grow, she just is.

 

I loved Ashley Bashioum as Mac on Y&R but I had no issue with Rachel Kimsey at all when she returned as a more vibrant Mackenzie. Firing her and then years later casting that walking corpse (Clemetine Ford) was misstep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darn said:

 

The vitriol directed at Freddie Smith is a lot of projection. The man gained weight over a decade so of course he shouldn't be with America's favorite twink.

 

 

I don't think a lot of that is directed at her, her look and portrayal actually resemble a tried and true Y&R formula but the character is aimless and seems to be rebooted with every new regime. All of her relationships are treated like they're her first. She doesn't learn or grow, she just is.

 

I loved Ashley Bashioum as Mac on Y&R but I had no issue with Rachel Kimsey at all when she returned as a more vibrant Mackenzie. Firing her and then years later casting that walking corpse (Clemetine Ford) was misstep.

Oh man Clementine Ford was my first introduction to Mac and I was like...THIS can't be the character people raved about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in on Freddie Smith. 

 

I had no problem with him or Sonny. Plus, even with the weight gain I still thought he was cute.

 

And also I have no problem with Michael Easton on GH. He doesn't bother me really, like some of Frank's other pets do (Hey, Roger)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some choices from Goutman's ATWT:

I actually thought that Terri Conn's Katie was great, and she was one of the main reasons I tuned in. Aside from that final pairing with Daniel Cosgrove's Chris, she had great romantic chemistry with her various love interests and good (gay) friend chemistry with Henry and Reid. 

 

Also, although she was never my favorite character, I still appreciated Julie Pinson's Janet (a lot more than some boring recast legacy characters like Dusty, Meg, and Paul). Pinson almost always gave committed performances, and the character had a distinctive voice and point of view that naturally clashed with that of characters like Carly. ATWT had become so plot-driven at that point, it was nice to have a character who could organically generate realistic conflict with other characters. 

 

Finally, I thought Jon Lindstrom made for a great Craig, and he had fantastic chemistry with both Maura West and Cady McClain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Antoyne said:

As I see posts about these two a lot I wanted to share my top 2.

 

Melissa Ordway Y&R- Abby Newman:  Without fail, at least multiple times a month I see complaints about her portrayal along with the character of Abby. Honestly she's never bothered me and I like her so so much more than Emme Rylan, whose Abby was unwatchable to me.

 

Joshua Morrow Y&R Nick Newman: This one always baffles me. I've seen calls for recasts and everything. I can't honestly see someone else playing Nick and his portrayal has never bothered me. I think he has excellent chemistry with his family and most of the women he's been paired with outside of Chelsea. 

  Agree.

29 minutes ago, Dylan said:

YR

Mce as chelsea

Mark Grossman as Adam (Twitter does not like the character rn lol)

Agree. Mark Grossman is good as Adam,  I'm just sick of Adam.

3 hours ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Count me in on Freddie Smith. 

 

I had no problem with him or Sonny. Plus, even with the weight gain I still thought he was cute.

 

And also I have no problem with Michael Easton on GH. He doesn't bother me really, like some of Frank's other pets do (Hey, Roger)

Agree on Freddie Smith.  I do not get the hate at all.    On Michael Easton,  I do think it was/ is stupid to give him so many different characters on the show, especially since the last 2 are just about the same.  Plus Easton isn't that great of an actor,  Finn, the previous doc (can't think of his name) and McBain are almost alike.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Melissa Ordway and Melissa Claire Egan have both been useless on that show from Day 1.

 

4 hours ago, Darn said:

The vitriol directed at Freddie Smith is a lot of projection. The man gained weight over a decade so of course he shouldn't be with America's favorite twink.

 

Smith is annoying at best and often looks a mess onscreen, but the psychosexual obsession some folks have with his looks and Massey on this board, thinking eventually they'll pair Chandler up with some fantasy new man to beat off to, is pathetic and gross.

 

Related: The Clementine Ford recast made my gay ass feel homophobic.

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved Hunt Block as Craig.

 

Now that I have seen more of Scott Bryce, I love his Craig.  But not with the way they were characterizing him by the time he returned.  Block fit that Craig better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vee said:

 

 

 

 but the psychosexual obsession some folks have with his looks and Massey on this board, thinking eventually they'll pair Chandler up with some fantasy new man to beat off to, is pathetic and gross.

 

 

I could resist Vee. I forgot to put sparkles around his beautiful flawless face. I bet that he doesn't even have morning breath. 

Edited by victoria foxton
Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Deas (ex-Bucky, RH; ex-Tom, ATWT; ex-Keith, SANTA BARBARA; ex-Buzz, GL) is extremely unpopular around here.  Yet, I could watch him do just about anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khan said:

Justin Deas (ex-Bucky, RH; ex-Tom, ATWT; ex-Keith, SANTA BARBARA; ex-Buzz, GL) is extremely unpopular around here.  Yet, I could watch him do just about anything.

I think Michael Logan called him daytime’s Pacino, which... ok, but I think JD is prodigiously talented but also prone to bombastic self-parody in a similar way. But when he’s in the zone, I don’t think there are many, if indeed any, who are better. And he could be damn sexy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I think Michael Logan called him daytime’s Pacino, which... ok, but I think JD is prodigiously talented but also prone to bombastic self-parody in a similar way. But when he’s in the zone, I don’t think there are many, if indeed any, who are better. And he could be damn sexy. 

 

Well Pacino can be the latter self-parody as well, so it really fits. Plus, I've only really seen constant critique of his GL days, which wasn't helped by the abject favourtism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.