LATEST RATINGS: September 28 - October 2, 2020

Toups

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Honestly, why these ratings aren't great, the soaps are actually pulling in higher numbers than a lot of primetime shows now. So, the soaps may stick around longer just for lack of anything to replace them with that would have higher ratings.

• Members

Yeah, the question isn’t, “What’s the future of soaps?” It’s “What’s the future of broadcast/linear television?” It’s just sad that we’ll probably see more adjustments and downgrades that’ll make these remaining shows even less appealing to watch.

• Members

Linear ratings will obviously matter less and other profit streams will become more important. In all honesty, I think that's why DAYS has probably been able to hang on for so long - not only do they make it on a shoe-string budget, but it's also been stated as the most popular show on the NBC app (no idea how it does on Peacock). It's why I always think that B&B will be the last show standing with it being sold into so many markets, plus them utilising past seasons still.

• Members

Look at Grey's Anatomy - it gets around 6 million viewers and somewhere between 1.0-1.5 in the 18-49 demographic in the usual overnights - including 35 day viewing numbers + digital, it actually grows into 16 million viewers and 6-6.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. People are still watching, they just aren't watching it in traditional ways.

• Members

I don't even get the notion that AMC / OLTL did that badly when it came to viewers, just that Prospect Park were such a mess and they hadn't really figured out funding beyond 40 episodes and ended up screwing up contracts like the one they had with FX Canada.

• Members

Sure. These shows may stick around for a while, longer than we may have expected 5-10 years ago, but I think the whole TV model is under review, so daytime doesn’t stand out as much. It might be the least of their worries, as the soaps are somewhat stable. Scripted shows in broadcast and cable primetime, especially new ones, aren’t popping like they used to. I am happy that soaps will keep a lot of people employed, but the blandness we see will probably get worse.

• Members

Yep same.i belive days attracts people to the nbc app and they have said its the number one show. I go to abc website and it shows GH as popular when i go to watch. + they are on hulu too. Cbs all access i imagine is no different. And when you add the live+7s the ratings went up.

I think soaps do well in Canada too, atleast days and YR. Global promotes the heck out of them.

Edited by Dylan

• Members

Oh qualitywise I think it'll get worse before it gets better. Still, I sort of hope that eventually online streamers will get interested in the daily soap format - in Sweden DAYS has switched to online only and is releasing five episodes on Mondays every week. It seems like an obvious way to get people "addicted" to your streaming service and visit it frequently.