Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
Toups

LATEST RATINGS: September 28 - October 2, 2020

Recommended Posts


I see GH took a hit due to the preemptions. Y&R seems to be stabilizing at its new normal. Let’s see what the cooler weather brings as we approach the holidays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, why these ratings aren't great, the soaps are actually pulling in higher numbers than a lot of primetime shows now. So, the soaps may stick around longer just for lack of anything to replace them with that would have higher ratings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, pdm1974 said:

Honestly, why these ratings aren't great, the soaps are actually pulling in higher numbers than a lot of primetime shows now. So, the soaps may stick around longer just for lack of anything to replace them with that would have higher ratings.

Yeah, the question isn’t, “What’s the future of soaps?” It’s “What’s the future of broadcast/linear television?” It’s just sad that we’ll probably see more adjustments and downgrades that’ll make these remaining shows even less appealing to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

Yeah, the question isn’t, “What’s the future of soaps?” It’s “What’s the future of broadcast/linear television?” It’s just sad that we’ll probably see more adjustments and downgrades that’ll make these remaining shows even less appealing to watch.

 

Linear ratings will obviously matter less and other profit streams will become more important. In all honesty, I think that's why DAYS has probably been able to hang on for so long - not only do they make it on a shoe-string budget, but it's also been stated as the most popular show on the NBC app (no idea how it does on Peacock). It's why I always think that B&B will be the last show standing with it being sold into so many markets, plus them utilising past seasons still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, te. said:

 

Linear ratings will obviously matter less and other profit streams will become more important. In all honesty, I think that's why DAYS has probably been able to hang on for so long - not only do they make it on a shoe-string budget, but it's also been stated as the most popular show on the NBC app (no idea how it does on Peacock). It's why I always think that B&B will be the last show standing with it being sold into so many markets, plus them utilising past seasons still.

Exactly. 

 

I don't believe that the decline in the quality of soaps is the only reason the ratings are down. Of course, the ratings are gonna drop when there are so many different ways for fans to watch at their own convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Exactly. 

 

I don't believe that the decline in the quality of soaps is the only reason the ratings are down. Of course, the ratings are gonna drop when there are so many different ways for fans to watch at their own convenience.

 

Look at Grey's Anatomy - it gets around 6 million viewers and somewhere between 1.0-1.5 in the 18-49 demographic in the usual overnights - including 35 day viewing numbers + digital, it actually grows into 16 million viewers and 6-6.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. People are still watching, they just aren't watching it in traditional ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, te. said:

 

Look at Grey's Anatomy - it gets around 6 million viewers and somewhere between 1.0-1.5 in the 18-49 demographic in the usual overnights - including 35 day viewing numbers + digital, it actually grows into 16 million viewers and 6-6.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. People are still watching, they just aren't watching it in traditional ways.Quote

It'd be interesting to know what the streaming numbers for soaps are at this point. I feel like the online versions of AMC and OLTL were just maybe 5 years before their time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pdm1974 said:

It'd be interesting to know what the streaming numbers for soaps are at this point. I feel like the online versions of AMC and OLTL were just maybe 5 years before their time.

 

I don't even get the notion that AMC / OLTL did that badly when it came to viewers, just that Prospect Park were such a mess and they hadn't really figured out funding beyond 40 episodes and ended up screwing up contracts like the one they had with FX Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, te. said:

 

Linear ratings will obviously matter less and other profit streams will become more important. In all honesty, I think that's why DAYS has probably been able to hang on for so long - not only do they make it on a shoe-string budget, but it's also been stated as the most popular show on the NBC app (no idea how it does on Peacock). It's why I always think that B&B will be the last show standing with it being sold into so many markets, plus them utilising past seasons still.

Sure. These shows may stick around for a while, longer than we may have expected 5-10 years ago, but I think the whole TV model is under review, so daytime doesn’t stand out as much. It might be the least of their worries, as the soaps are somewhat stable. Scripted shows in broadcast and cable primetime, especially new ones, aren’t popping like they used to. I am happy that soaps will keep a lot of people employed, but the blandness we see will probably get worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pdm1974 said:

It'd be interesting to know what the streaming numbers for soaps are at this point. I feel like the online versions of AMC and OLTL were just maybe 5 years before their time.

 

2 hours ago, pdm1974 said:

It'd be interesting to know what the streaming numbers for soaps are at this point. I feel like the online versions of AMC and OLTL were just maybe 5 years before their time.

Yep same.i belive days attracts people to the nbc app and they have said its the number one show. I go to abc website and it shows GH as popular when i go to watch. + they are on hulu too. Cbs all access i imagine is no different. And when you add the live+7s the ratings went up.

 

 

I think soaps do well in Canada too, atleast days and YR. Global promotes the heck out of them.

Edited by Dylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

Sure. These shows may stick around for a while, longer than we may have expected 5-10 years ago, but I think the whole TV model is under review, so daytime doesn’t stand out as much. It might be the least of their worries, as the soaps are somewhat stable. Scripted shows in broadcast and cable primetime, especially new ones, aren’t popping like they used to. I am happy that soaps will keep a lot of people employed, but the blandness we see will probably get worse.

 

Oh qualitywise I think it'll get worse before it gets better. Still, I sort of hope that eventually online streamers will get interested in the daily soap format - in Sweden DAYS has switched to online only and is releasing five episodes on Mondays every week. It seems like an obvious way to get people "addicted" to your streaming service and visit it frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, te. said:

 

Oh qualitywise I think it'll get worse before it gets better. Still, I sort of hope that eventually online streamers will get interested in the daily soap format - in Sweden DAYS has switched to online only and is releasing five episodes on Mondays every week. It seems like an obvious way to get people "addicted" to your streaming service and visit it frequently.

I think Brad bell already said when bold gets cancelled its moving online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dylan said:

 

Yep same.i belive days attracts people to the nbc app and they have said its the number one show. I go to abc website and it shows GH as popular when i go to watch. + they are on hulu too. Cbs all access i imagine is no different. And when you add the live+7s the ratings went up.

 

 

I think soaps do well in Canada too, atleast days and YR. Global promotes the heck out of them.

 

For decades, Y&R has been in the Top 20 most watched shows in Canada, daytime, primetime, news, whatever. It's timeslot on Global (right before the evening news) is a big part of that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, DaytimeFan said:

For decades, Y&R has been in the Top 20 most watched shows in Canada, daytime, primetime, news, whatever. It's timeslot on Global (right before the evening news) is a big part of that.

For the past few years hopefully Canada has been watching a completely different set of Y&R episodes than we are seeing.  Although I quit, I see bits and pieces and don't see anything happening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...