Announcement: New Memberships Suspended

RIP: In Memoriam Thread

Faulkner

• Members
On 3/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, I Am A Swede said:

^^

Please register in order to view this content

"Upstairs, Downstairs" is my all-time favourite tv-show and it feels like my heart is breaking a little each time we lose one of the people involved. And Elizabeth was one of my personal favourites among the characters so losing Nicola is especially sad.

I love Upstairs Downstairs too -- Downton Abbey would likely not exist without this show! The cool thing about Upstairs Downstairs was how feeling it was about human beings, as life whirled around them in a tumult. You never got the impression that the writers did not care for every character. Also, the show operated with basically two sets -- the 'front entrance' and reception room of the wealthy family, and the kitchen operations where the staff congregated. And yet, I never felt hemmed in by those boundaries. The capabilities of the actors and storytellers to express life in multi-dimensional ways within those sets was A+.

2 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Amazing actor.

Yaphet Kotto! I remember him from Homicide: Life on the Streets and obviously the wannabe-blaxpolitation Bond film. Always felt like he and Laurence Fishburne should have played father and son in a movie.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My favorite Yaphet Kotto story is about how he showed up to the set on the day they were filming his death in Alien convinced he could talk his way out of it. "I'm gonna beat this guy!"

Patrick Stewart was brilliant as Captain Picard, but I've never gotten over the fact that Kotto was seriously considered for the role on Star Trek. That would've been amazing.

• Members
On 2/9/2021 at 10:59 AM, ReddFoxx said:

Mary was definitely the core of the group seeing as she was the only member to stay on for the entire duration of the group. Gordy was all about crossover to the pop charts and Mary's voice was too soulful for the initial effort Motown made in music. By the time Mary did go solo she didn't get the right material. She was a good singer, but never got the material she should have received.

She did get some good material that was right for her, it just wasn't released as singles, because Motown was so fixated on following the disco trend. I've always said the latter day Supremes should have had Mary mostly on lead, and went into panty droppin music, and stay out of disco. 

• Members

For the longest time I only knew him as the boss in Just Shoot Me!, and then I finally saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (happily purchased the DVD for a bargain), and was able to see the full gamut of his talents. Great actor, R.I.P!