RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really don't know what to say. My mother was a devoted fan of Fleetwood Mac. My first memory of their music is Christine McVie and her songs on Rumours and the self-titled album prior. I was very small and asked my mother one day who was singing one of the other Stevie songs on the album - she answered 'Stevie Nicks', and I assumed that was the group's only singer, and spent another few years amazed at how one woman could throw her voice. Once I discovered the truth I was fascinated by Christine's soothing voice and deceptively simple lyrics. Some of her songs are both the most touching and the most haunting. I remember when, in early adolescence, I discovered a new FM album I didn't know about - Tusk, a very experimental, edgy piece of work - I was instantly transported by her opening track (Over and Over, which @Faulknerposted above) and by this one as well, which still haunts me. (Especially the very, very faint voice saying 'don't touch me' in one of the early choruses.)

Christine made a strong return doing a duo album with Lindsey Buckingham - clearly a swipe by him at Stevie, who allegedly had dragged her feet on recording new music for the group. I always held out hope that FM would mend fences with Lindsey again so I could see them all together live. Christine wasn't just the glue, she was the soul of the group and its serene central nexus. Her music could do anything and was much more complex than it was sometimes given credit for. With Christine gone, Fleetwood Mac can never quite be what it was. Her voice and the ghosts in her sound are undying.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Someone online said FM was like having three bands in one with the three unique voices, styles, etc. and it's absolutely true. But what often excited me most is when you could hear Stevie and Christine on Lindsey's crazy songs or vice versa.

• Members

A lot will be made of Kirstie Alley's sad descent into right wing nuttery over the last decade or two, but I'll always remember her best and stay very fond of her work not just on Cheers, where she was a hysterical comic performer, but in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan where she instantly commanded the screen as Commander Saavik and remained unmatched (Kim Cattrall's character in STVI was originally intended to be Saavik, but they couldn't come to terms with Alley who had become a star) for years to come.