It’s a miracle: Characters who had gave late in life births

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rachel on AW takes the cake in my opinion on this. Mid-50s at least...she was pregnant with TWINS while also having a possible cancerous tumor in her uterus that couldn't be operated on because it would kill the twins. Then, she gave birth to the babies by cesarean section with no pain killers on top of a coffee table in the middle of a hurricane. The twins were delivered by Dr. Shane Roberts who had previously been Bobby Reno, race car driver. It was all downright comical! And then once she had the twins they were barely mentioned or seen.

• Members

Also- women with money have later in life babies quite a bit.  They can afford the health costs and support raising their children.  I mean, Janet Jackson was close to 50 when she had her child.

Wha?  This happened that late in the show’s run?  That is a lot to get past.

• Members

Exactly! I could sorta kinda buy the CJ pregnancy if Sally was late 40's in the story. But, when she was trying to get pregnant by Jack....that ship had long sailed!!

Please register in order to view this content

It was in the last couple of years of the show. I could have maybe bought one baby minus the cancer and hurricane birth. Her son Jamie had to be pushing 40 himself.

• Members

Sward did a really great job with it, although I think what helped was too was she wasn’t much older in real life than those playing her kids (Patricia Bruder much lol?) and don’t know how old any of them were maybe they all stayed in that ageless vortex Tom Hughes was in LOL. I’ll assume Lyla was her in late 40’s while all the kids were in their late 20’s; although going back to Lyla’s earlier days I think the was mentioned her sister Maggie was suppose to be much younger since Maggie had a relationship with Tom. Sheesh!

Interestingly a few years later the show would go down the surrogate route with Emily for Larry and Susan to have Allison as Susan was indeed post-menopause by that point.

• Members

I thought Sue Ellen and J.R. on Dallas looked too old to have a child the age of John Ross. Linda Gray and Larry Hagman had teenage children in real life at the time (1978-79).

Valene on Knots Landing giving birth to the Baaaaaabies in her 40's.

• Members

I swear I will never understand the fascination soaps had/have with reproducing, especially "late in the game." What was the purpose of 50ish Rachel giving birth especially when everyone knew AW was running on fumes? She already had 3 kids they could give storylines to, plus the show had aged Amanda's daughter, hadn't it? Was there nothing else they could have Rachel do? It just shows how lazy soaps have been for years. 

• Members

I hated Reva’s post-menopausal baby for a lot of reasons, 1) the menopause story had been huge storyline in 2005-06 as part of Reva’s character development and earned KZ her Emmy 2) the baby was Jeffrey’s (eww) 3) it was also part of a weird cancer recurrence arc that made no sense. That baby was unneeded and how weird for the show to end by insinuating Josh became his dad.