Ratings From the 90's

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Not to derail this thread, but B&B did have a bit of a cast switch in 1992. Departures of Lauren Koslow, Todd McKee, Peter Brown, Daniel McVicar, Colleen Dion. Debuts of Chris Robinson, Kimberlin Brown, Brent Jasmer. Michael Watson had a short run. Teri Ann Linn returned for a short arc. 

• Members

Something different in terms of the writing maybe? 

I always believed that that was part of the reason why storylines like the Ice Princess, Carly buried alive, Marlena’s possession, etc. were so successful. They didn’t just follow the same soap formula, they were something different.

Haha yep.

According to the Y&R Vault, the day I was born was the day the farmhouse caught on fire 

• Members

1990s babies would have started Kindergarten in the aftermath of OJ, and as we all know soaps were never the same at that point so it's interesting to learn what drew 1990s babies to soaps. Those born in 1990 and 1991 would have started Kindergarten Fall 1995 and Fall 1996 during Reilly Days. 1992 birth would have started Kindergarten in Fall 1997 and by then Reilly Days were done.

I was born on a weekday but my birth week isn't in it's ratings thread yet LOL.

• Members

Looking at all these low ratings for Days, I see that Scofield family invasion and takeover of the show worked out really well didn’t it?

Please register in order to view this content

I don’t know if they were fully to blame as Days had other lame leading characters at the time but the Scofield were so front and center during this time period along with the bombing of Wings…

• Members

LMAO!!

(I shouldn't laugh so hard at that, but even the show's creators cop to it being little more than "Cheers" in an airport, lol.)

I still can't keep it straight in my mind which DAYS hangout begat what, but was Wings the successor to Blondie's, which was, in turn, the successor to Shenanigans?  Or were they all separate hangouts?  And how does Sergio's Doug's Place By the Lake figure into all this?

Edited by Khan

• Members

1992 Days didn’t know what it wanted to be. There was a touch of realism with the sophomoric drama of Brian/Ginger/Tanner/Molly as bad as it was along with Kayla leading a strike at the hospital, but there was idiotic hijinks like Hawk/Jennifer/Jack, Kimberly’s DID storyline and leftover 80’s plots like John/Danielle and Shane trying to figure out who was poisoning ISA agents lol. The show obviously had no idea what to do after the Two Romans story concluded. 

As for Wings @Khan, haha I loved that sitcom watching as it aired as a teen/20 something but looking back I didn’t realize how bad and pointless it was when watching reruns…and now I hate using bombing after remembering one one the co-creators died during 9/11. Yikes……

But in the case of Days’ Wings it was the successor to Doug’s Place and run by the Corelli’s at some point. Some the Rafi Torres guy became obsessed with Julie and was in trouble with Roman and Bo blew it up with a bomb…and then Julie fell for her doctor Chip who saved her.

Definitely was a fan of all the CBS soaps via my two grandmothers on both sides of the family and mother. Where my mother diverged at was also being a fan of AMC and Days.

Days I feel was easy to get into and always felt like a P&G soap to me while AMC felt like a romcom to me. Didn’t help I probably sampled OLTL and GH at their worst and wrote them off for good in the early 90’s, but my mom semi-occasionally watched AW and was semi-familiar with that show as well.