DAYS: Bill Hayes' 50th Anniversary episode today

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

True. I could be crass about Ron but this isn't the appropriate thread for that type of talk. Anyway, I'm just so glad and so amazed Bill made it to 50 years, especially after the purges in the '80s. I didn't watch the episode but I'm glad he at least got one.

• Members

Yes, I've said the same thing before - soaps need to look back to the beginnings now that they're all on a budget. I'm not saying that they should do the exact same thing (obviously, the one-scene-per-act wouldn't work today), but going back to the characters more than cheap stunts.

• Members

Agree completely...those loooong scenes wouldn't cut it today but if you look at today's shows, sometimes all they do is take a five minute scenes and chop it up so we keep going back to it.

Most of the stories from the 60's and 70's could work today with a bit of tweaking.

Speaking of babies, interesting that back then pregnancies and babies were used more sparingly .

Compare to today on Y&R for example where there are kids galore.

• Members

The clips are amazing! Thanks for posting @jam6242

Soaps do need to get back to those slow moving character driven storylines, especially ones like Doug and Julie's story. Things move too fast nowadays and other stories that writers want to stretch out fall apart because they don't know how to stretch them out. Hell, I even think the Ben and Ciara story would have been a lot better had it been slow moving and character driven as opposed to what we saw.

That was DAYS for a while too. A baby was born every year from 2003 to 2010.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Exactly.  If DAYS had taken the time to redeem Ben more properly and then illustrate to us why he and Ciara belong together, putting them through years of obstacles before finally bringing them together, I'd be on their side.

• Members

I think the issue is that they tend to try to stretch out pure plot driven stories, which in turns effects the writing of the characters because not only do they have to keep adding twist after twist they have to pretend that these characters wouldn't catch on. The Gina/Stevano plot is an example of this - like, at least explain why her DAUGHTER wouldn't know that her mother isn't herself at all? And wouldn't people like Hope and Steve be absolutely broken as people as a consequence of years and years of brainwashing?

In the past they tended to have character development with plots driven above it. Now we kind of just have plot after plot with characters as empty canvases for said plots.