DAYS: Bill Hayes' 50th Anniversary episode today

• Members

Thanks @JAS0N47 This is a treat as always

Just wondering. Does anyone remember the clip of Doug and Julie that was online sometime ago. They have come back from dinner (I think) and she is wearing a green dress. I believe she puts on "The Look of Love" on a small record player. I remember being really spellbound by that clip. If I recall, it was from July 1970.

Okay I found it

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's always fascinating to watch early DAYS and see how they did so much with so little.  For that scene in particular, all that was needed to hold your interest was Doug and Julie.  No expensive set or lighting (although, getting the rights to that instrumental recording of "The Look of Love" probably cost a few extra dollars); just a man and a woman who ache to be together but whose present circumstances forbid it.  That's what soap opera is, ladies and gentlemen.  Pure, and simple.

• Members

I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly in Days of Our Lives: A Complete History of the Long-Running Soap Opera By Maureen Russell) that they were able to use "The Look of Love" relatively cheaply (or perhaps even for free) because the show was co-produced by Screen Gems (Columbia Pictures).

• Members

So true. Character driven story. If nothing else, I feel that is what is really missing from soaps today. I think that is why the story could be simple, because the complexity was in the characters.

Side note: I swear that clip was longer when it was previously uploaded. Doug and Julie return from dinner and she talks about a waiter or maitre'd or something at dinner, maybe something to do with a slightly embarrassing moment she had. It was a cute moment between them before she puts on the song.

• Members

Yes, it was longer.  They had been to Sergio's (which later became the original Doug's Place) and he had sung "The Look of Love," to her there for the first time.  There was a brief glimpse of the restaurant scene in the montage shown for Bill's anniversary.

• Members

@jam6242 Thanks so much, yes what a lovely moment. Just builds it all up so nicely. Such sweetness and innocence then the passion, then the guilt, mixed with a longing. So much going on in such a short and simple scene.

That second clip is also very sweet. Thanks for sharing it as well

• Members

Thanks, @jam6242, for those extra clips.  Gosh, I wish more of this stuff was available.  Even if it meant paying a monthly subscription fee, I'd LOVE to see DAYS from the very beginning.

Yes. Exactly.

Well, if that's true, then the current PTB should make a similar arrangement, allowing them access to Sony's music catalogue.  Music has always been such an integral part of this show.  DAYS feels hollow without music supplementing and enhancing the storylines.

• Members

Thanks for everyone posting these clips.

It gives us a glimpse into the look and feel of the show in those days.

Current shows need to look at this era for inspiration instead of trying to replicate the 80's and 90's without the budget to support it.

Interesting that Doug and Julie had children with other characters but not each other - their 'true loves'

• Members

I'd never seen that last clip before - thank you for sharing it. Not that Julie really needed another child by a man she was in a failed marriage to but she could have used another child for story in later years.

The first scene is always a beauty to watch, from the perfect use of the instrumental "Look of Love" to the slow buildup of passion and barely being able to deal with the strength of their feelings. Both Susan and Bill are very good but Bill's way of showing just how much the whole game is spinning out of control for Doug is extremely powerful. And of course the real life burgeoning feelings between Bill and Susan add another even more potent undercurrent.