LATEST RATINGS: December 23-27, 2019

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow....Remember when DAYS used to get a holiday boost??

I can't help but be worried that TPTB are thinking twice about their renewal decision. I wonder if they have wiggle room to still get out of it.

I'm not sure why people, including myself, are having trouble getting invested in the show. I haven't watched in weeks. I think the time jump was a good idea on paper, but after the first couple of weeks it started to drag. And, having things like Will and Ben being BFFs is just too much. I'm sooooo tired of "crying Nicole." I miss when she was a martini drinking bitch. Now, she just cries and whines and bounces back and forth between Brady and Eric. "Stevano" was kinda a last straw for me. Stefano should have permanently been laid to rest with JM. We didn't need him, and to be honest, the DiMeras at all. The one suprising thing I sort of enjoyed was Lani and Kristen's friendship. All of the rest, I just can't get into it.

• Members

I think part of the problem with time jumps on soaps is that it’s truly hard to be fully invested in things you haven’t seen play out. It kinda goes against the idea of a daily soap. The “novelty” of the idea wasn’t enough to cut through the digital noise as a marketing strategy, and the execution hasn’t added a spark to what we see on screen, which is just as flat and dollar-store as before. I watched over the holidays and I was not compelled to stick with it.

• Members

I'll tell you exactly why, from someone who also recently tuned out after watching pretty much daily for the past 9 years:

There is no time taken to build anything. This show is so invested in getting to the next plot point, they skip the fallout from everything that's just happened to rush to the next big plot point. Instead of investing in characters and relationships to flesh out where the stories are now and how it all matters, it's all just bombarding you with flashbacks and expository dialogue to explain the convoluted scheme that lead to the latest unexplained "shocking" reveal. The reveal, with this team, is rarely worth the following two episodes where everything has to be explained in flashbacks, and is done shoddily here in part because of budget, and in part because the planning and execution is not meticulous enough for Ron's ambitions.

I had this same problem at OLTL, if you remember The Tale of Two Todds reveal where not-actually-dead Irene spent the next two days explaining the dumbest backstory on record after weeks of actually decent suspense, where the reveal could've been far more powerful if Irene had shown up around the same time as Todd and dropped some hints along the way to make the explanation less clunky.

So, TL;DR, Ron's ambition outpaces his talents, and why invest when nothing matters?

Edited by beebs

• Members

I agree that DAYS has been VERY plot heavy lately. There's little attention paid to the relationships between the characters that make a soap special. Neither the Hortons nor the Bradys feel like a family anymore because characters' don't interact with family members often and plot beats aren't played out. I'm all for a brisk pace, but if we don't care about the characters....so much feels like wash and repeat. The constant propping of Ben (which I've never gotten the appeal of after his serial killer days), Nicole in a constant state of repeating the same storyline over and and over (Brady or Eric), no one noticing Hope is acting weird, Lani not just taking Gabi's phone from her....I had high hopes for the time jump, and the first week caught my attention...but follow-up has been soooooo bland. The numbers are just plummeting...

• Members

Dear Ron Carlivati: You are a lazy hack, and trying to get around nonsensical schitt via a time jump because you cannot write the journey has bombed. Steve-ano and Gina redux (extra creepy since the real Gina and Stefano are both DEAD) SUCKS.

Kayla/Justin SUCKS.

Will cozying up to his would-be killer SUCKS.

Ciara ruined to stay in wuv with said killer SUCKS.

The rumor of the Adrienne death [look it up] SUCKS.

Not ONE thing on this show is working.

As there are no more soaps as a safety net, Ron, should you get the axe, maybe reconsider your career choice and return to law. Bye!

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I've never watched DAYS but when I see commercials for it I always wonder what must have happened.  Every week's commercials have different characters with something different going on it looks like and I always wonder what must have happened to the other storylines they advertised the week before.