• Members

Honestly, the more I think about it, I don't know whether any of us should bother anymore.

For one thing, as @Faulkner says upthread, soaps have become like relics to TPTB.  The ones still on the air are mere placeholders for them until they come up with something cheaper to run.

For another, it isn't like it was in years past, when network TV was all we had in terms of entertainment (aside from movies, of course), and POC had to be grateful for every crumb of representation thrown our way.  Nowadays, thanks to online streaming and such, we have the option of looking elsewhere for the kinds of characters and stories we want to see.

Yeah, I'm mad that Y&R keeps pulling this [!@#$%^&*] where their actors and characters of color are concerned while even the most mediocre white actors remain safe from termination.  In the end, though, I think I'm with @Darn: I, too, can't wait to see this show cancelled.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Bottomline here is...#Blackbudget.

The show has decided that Devon, Nate, and Elena need another black female to play some insular quad. The show refuses to spend more money on the black cast than what's allotted, so Ana must go cause she can't have sex with Nate AND Devon. They are freeing up money to bring back Mishael Morgan. Expect that announcement by weeks end. If it falls through, expect some other unconnected black female to come through. 

• Members

Meanwhile, Griffith and Morina are working around the clock to bring back that one actor who was a dayplayer in some GCAC scenes back in 2013.  (More of that "iconic sensibility," no doubt.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

It is only right that the people who should fight for the show to improve and become more just are the ones who still care about this show--I am not one of those people.  AFAIC, to quote Meryl Streep in Iron Lady "Sink it".  

Please register in order to view this content

Or to quote Snoop Dogg "Y'all ain't got love for us...well f*ck y'all then!"

• Members

I hate to say I saw this coming and I think I mentioned as such in the Mishael thread.

Such a disgrace they let this talent go. I'm disgusted but not surprised, the writing, er -- lack there of -- was on the wall, sadly.

Folks aren't having it though. But folks also wanted Rowell back and crickets chirp there, so ... sadly the Twitter outrage will fade and they'll get away with it.

Mmmhmm.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I think we all pretty much knew.  The Walking Dead had this issue but they corrected it.  One black in, one out!  There was no way TWD would have more than one black male at a time.  I haven't watched in a minute but at one point, didn't the show have have at least 3 for a considerable amount of time?  For some odd reason, shows think that chit goes unnoticed.  

Daytime is all but dead because they can't past "blacks s/b on the back of the bus" and these recycled hacks.  

• Members

It's really disgusting and blatant racism. Nothing will change. And it's a shame that one token daytime leader only cares about her fellow tokens. Why are we even in a place where it's "one in, one out"? That is SUCH bullshit.

Griffith is a hack, too, and I've said as much for a long time now.

I can see why you always say, basically, "just cancel em all" and sadly, I'm there. Nothing gets fixed, things get worse, they all double down on what ISN'T working. They recycle hacks and have been for decades. It's just time to move on.

Wonder when Sean Dominic gets his walking papers? I mean, it's Redaric Williams all over again.

And sadly, they kept basic Brytni? Since it's "one in, one out" I'd have keep Loren. Nothing against Brytni but zzzz. But I guess they want a triangle. Is Mishael actually back? I'm sort of confused on that one and I've been a bit out of the loop the last few weeks.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

LOL!

I'm there, too.  As much as I love this genre, I feel like it's time to accept that the genre is finished, done in by its' own refusal to grow with the times.

OTOH, it just proves the point that whites aren't the only ones who wish we would go back to Africa.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Yep. Soaps have been regressing since around 96/97. It's a shame the soap that treated black characters like any white character now has a "one in, one out" thing and a total inability to write for them, despite the audience being largely African American. It's really mind-boggling, but at the same time, it's not because I know what it is. Also ironic that at one point Victoria Rowell was starring on TWO CBS shows. One primetime, one daytime. Boy ... 

Sigh

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Mishael isn't back to my knowledge but I have it on good authority that will still happen.  

I think Sean Dominic is in a better position than Redaric Williams. At this point, due to Neil's death, the show needs a Nate  The show didnt need a Tyler. He was just the first attempt to give Lily a black love interest and center her in that orbit instead of Cane. Abby is just a stop gap for him. Considering the history of the show, we know his main reason for existing is to be Devon's cousin (brother), confidante, and RIVAL all in one. They've given Devon and Elena their love story. I suspect that Nate and elena will now start one. Just cause this is Y&R

• Members

He is appealing. I like him a lot. He's perfect for Nate, IMHO. But they're wasting him and giving him pretty much nothing to work with. Just like the last Nate, who was nothing but a random talk to and doctor. It's blatant what they do. I mean, Elena still is vastly underdeveloped. Meanwhile Lola's on just about every day.

True about Tyler compared to Nate. Good point and one I kind of forget. I feel like they basically slot Nate in where Neil might have be used if Kristoff were still with us.

And they SHOULD be trying to recapture Malcolm/Dru/Neil/Olivia with Nate/Hilary/Devon/Elena but they aren't yet.

And without Lily around it was nice that Devon had his sister back. But of course we can't have nice things.

Brytni would have been a good Lily recast ... but I know they wouldn't have recast Lily with the Neil passing having to be written in. That would be jarring. But I guess Christel is and always will be Lily at this point so it is what it is.

Edited by KMan101