Character with the most children

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It is 11, I forgot Tony (Andre and Tony being played by the same actor always makes me forget one of those characters).

It was surprising to me too that Erica didn't have more children.

Edited by ReddFoxx

• Members

I think the reason why Erica didn't have children right away was because Agnes Nixon knew that children would tie Erica down, so to speak, and limit storyline possibilities for her.

And of those five kids, only one (Joey) was not abducted from her as an infant.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'm just amazed it lasted so long because of the daytime climate I grew up in a female character can't go more than 3 years without getting pregnant. Or the whole show turning into nothing but women birthing babies back to back like Guiding Light in its last decade.

I'm more amazed by characters who have been on the show 30+ years with no children, like Christine on Y&R. Hasn't she only been pregnant once too? And Ashley Abbott only has one kid despite being on the show for nearly 40 years. And Jack only has one child he sired during his run on the show too (not counting Keemo as that didn't happen while he was on the show).

• Members

I wanted to mention how it's interesting how Jack is like 65 years old and doesn't have any grandchildren. It is interesting how he doesn't have any and only a couple of kids, and that Christine has none, and Ashley and Traci only had one. It's not very often you see a character be on the show for a long time with hardly any kids/let alone no kids.

I can understand why a writer might wait to give a character a child. But I do think that having children/multiple children can help provide storylines for characters, especially when they get older. I wonder how much more possible storyline could Jack have if he had a teenage/grown grandchild. Or even a young one where there was some drama involved. Right now Jack isn't doing much of anything. I think of what he could be doing right now if he were in a storyline with say a teenage granddaughter. Who needed his guidance/help in some way. 

Victor Newman has a whole slew of them and there is a lot of potential storyline there. If/when the show decides to include him in a storyline with them.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Again, like w/ Agnes Nixon at her shows, Bill Bell knew that the more babies you saddle a character with, the less places you can go with them creatively.  Today, though, writers keep giving characters on-screen children, because -- and I'm paraphrasing someone who said it here some time ago -- a pregnancy storyline, especially one with a WTD? element, has a built in time clock that presents the network less opportunities to interfere with the storytelling.

• Members

I have to say I do love seeing all the different generations and bonds on soaps, that happen when couples have several children. And they branch out and have their own families and ties. Like on Days when you see all of the generations interact. There is something special about that. Like when several generations gathered for Caroline's funeral and seeing several of the Hortons interact. Especially at family events/special occasions.

Though on the other hand there are some characters who keep getting saddled with kids and really shouldn't have any more. Like Sonny on GH. Sonny should have stopped having kids like 10 years ago, lol. IMO, they should have definitely stopped giving him kids after Dante. (Heck, the argument could be made they shouldn't have even made Dante his son. I know I was one that didn't like them giving him another child with Dante at first.)

IMO, Sharon on Y&R doesn't need any more kids. And neither does Nick in any form or fashion.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I know there was a running gag on ATWT in the 90s/00s about how Hal Munson had fathered half the town... but then he only fathered four children (Nikki, Adam, Will and Parker) biologically and one (Jennifer) by adoption.

• Members

John Dixon As The World Turns

In his first 11 years on the show John fathered just one child

Andy 

But from 1980 onwards he was busier

2 long lost children

Margo

Duke

fathered a second son

MJ

Became guardian to

Hayley

Dusty

And had a son that died shortly after birth

Johnny

• Members

Sharon and Sami from Days were both unnecessarily saddled with too many children very young.  Sami was a grandmother by the time she was like 35 lol.  But someone like Carrie had her one and only child off screen.  Weird.

The problem with Sonny on GH isn't really the amount of kids (which is excessive) but the time frame.  For the first 7 years on the show he remained childless (except for the Lily explosion baby) and was basically in love with the same woman.  Then from 2000-2010 he impregnated Carly, adopted Michael, had Kristina, impregnated Sam,  had Morgan, impregnated Claudia, and found Dante.   That is a ridiculous amount of baby/child stories to give a character in a 10 year period, especially with his revolving door of female partners.  I would never had made Dante his son, certainly wouldn't have given him Avery, and have no idea why we are watching Sonny and Carly have a kid now.