Actors who were ungrateful for their soap gig

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

IIRC, JM remarked once how it would piss her off to hear fellow soap alums say working for them were like stepping stones toward bigger (read: less embarrassing) acting jobs (or something like that).  No, JM replied, working as an actor in soaps is a job, period.  Implying, of course, that an actor is being paid to apply all his craft and training to a demanding line of work, and that they should feel grateful for the opportunity.  (In that respect, Moore's almost like most classically trained British actors, who are trained to look at no job as being "beneath them" as long as it allows them to make a living as an actor.  Which explains why Sir Laurence Olivier would have even CONSIDERED hawking Polaroid cameras BITD, lol).

Also, when Farley Granger and Robert Calhoun were at a signing/party for Granger's autobiography, which Calhoun had co-authored, JM actually showed up to congratulate the two, which I thought was classy, along with her singling out Douglas Marland's work on (I think) "Inside the Actor's Studio with James Lipton."

Oh, and speaking of Mr. Lipton: now THERE'S someone who always has struck me as being slightly disdainful of his status as a former soap actor and writer, even though (from what I've read) he was actually very popular on GL as Dr. Dick Grant.

• Members

Ricky Martin doesn't speak very fondly of his time at GH.  Mostly about the cast not accepting him if I recall.  I honestly always felt GH/Wendy Riche did him a solid by featuring him and his music so heavily when he wasn't popular at all.

• Members

If you ask me, Wendy Riche was just keeping up a tradition that was started by none other than Gloria Monty.  I mean, when was the last time GH DIDN'T have a cast member who could also sing, or whose songs weren't promoted by the show?  Rick Springfield, John Stamos, Jack Wagner, and I'm sure there were others.

• Members

I get it, but all those characters were actually popular?  I have no problem with singing really, but it's bizarre how charismatic Ricky Martin was on stage and how dull he was on GH.  He is so handsome and I wanted to like him, but I don't think he had any chemistry with anyone in the cast romantic or non romantic.  Miguel was pushed as the hero and the best hospital orderly/bartender ever-his singing was the least annoying thing about him.  He was given two really big love interests in Brenda and Lily and had plenty of story.  I am surprised he would shade GH.

• Members

I think Lipton's shade is more on his writing stints as most were short lived and not recieved well. I remember all his AW got killed off in a bus accident by Agnes Nixon. Thats gotta be a slap in the face on his writing skills.

• Members

Yeah, he created a family on AW and the next head writer killed off the whole family in a plane crash. That’s kind of funny. Lipton’s acting was horrible. He was constantly looking at his cue cards or TelePrompTer and it was very obvious. He was always messing up his lines on Guiding Light and his acting style was melodramatic (even for a soap opera). 

• Members

The Gregory family being killed in a plane crash is a tale off repeated.

According to the AW Homepage only one character Alex Gregory was killed in a car crash. The others, Cora, Ernest,Karen and Bert were written out/dropped over a few weeks by Agnes Nixon.

• Members

What ticks me off about Meg Ryan is how she can be so ungrateful, when she was given opportunities the average actress would kill for. As a complete newbie, she was made the center of ATWT for two years with (how should I put this) very limited acting skills. She could play cute and had a quirky style which made her popular with viewers, but that can fade over time. What worked in her favor was that unpredictable quality called chemistry, which she did have with Frank Runyeon (and that the better actress Lindsay Frost clearly did not). 

From what I've read, Marissa Tomei isn't much better in the gratitude department.

• Members

Yeah. It is pretty ironic that Meg Ryan, who was lucky to get a soap job with her limited acting ability seems to be ashamed of being on a soap while Julianne Moore, who was probably too good for a soap is very proud of her soap past. 

So that famous story is just an urban legend?

• Members

Marisa tomei..I view as being embarrased of atwt becausw she thought she was horrible on the show...she still is friends with Julianne Moore so she can't hate it all that much.

Robin Wright did admit shw learned about blacking, memorization, and working at a fast pace...so she's softened a bit.  Chelsea Handler gushed about SB when she interviewed her..it was kinda cute.