Actors who were ungrateful for their soap gig

• Members

With Constance Wu acting ungrateful on twitter about FOTB, made me think: Which actors at one time or another were ungrateful abut their daytime drama stints. Ill Start:

OLTL's Erin Torpey talks in the OLTL book about a former love interest who complained from day 1 on how famous he would be. She told something to the degree that he just got here and to shut it. Even though he became the man of steel briefly, it didnt last. He seems more humbled now:  Brandon Routh (ex-Seth, 2001-02)

Edited by John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another one: Robin Wright (Penn).  I can only imagine what goes through her mind whenever anyone asks her about SANTA BARBARA.

Conversely, Julianne Moore has never bad-mouthed HER time on ATWT, and she was almost TOO good for daytime.

• Members

Wings Hauser trashed his time on Y&R and said soap actors are full of crap when they say it's hard work. He said soaps are a hair show.

Meredith Baxter kind of poked fun at her time on Y&R in a recent interview, but sad she had respect for actors who spent their lives doing it on a regular basis.

Michael Park said he told Meg Ryan he was at her old stomping grounds (ATWT) when he met her. He said she looked like she wanted to run right through him and things got awkward.

Rue McClanahan in her Archive interview touched upon her soap stint (AW) and wanted to quickly move past discussing it.

Jay Kerr who played on Y&R in the early 80's trashed soaps and his stint. He said out of the things he has done people still remember him on the soap and can't figure out why. He said soaps were the bottom of the barrel and any actor would rather doing anything else than that. The Y&R credit is no longer listed on his IMDB page. He hasn't acted in decades, so how has that worked out for him ?

• Members

Meg Ryan hasn't been relevant since 2001 her trash talk is now completely irrelevant. 

An interesting case was Brian Bloom, who in 2004 completely trashed his time at ATWT. As a response, it actually increased Grayson McCouch's acceptance in the role, as a McCouch was an actor who left moderate Hollywood and primetime success to return back to soaps. Bloom hasn't been re-interviewed again since and his career these days in vocal acting on cartoons and video games 

Susan Ward was the lead heroine and star of Sunset Beach but ultimately trashed her entire time on the soap. Aside from the movie Shallow Hal, her career never panned out and she hasn't acted now since 2012. I wonder if she trashed Malibu Shores as well? 

Conversely, Monica Potter does agree she was right to be let go as the first Sharon on Y&R as she said herself she was terrible. 

Did she mellow out over time though? I recall SOD had caught up with her at and she said she wanted to go back but said success of The Princess Bride just made it impossible to return. 

• Members

Keith Hamilton Cobb after he left AMC.

George Pilgrim gave a much-discussed interview after his abrupt departure from GL where he was talking about all the big things ahead and clearly had nothing good to say about soaps. 

Cam Gigandet I believe did an interview a decade ago putting down his time on soaps. I said at the time that he didn't have a career worth getting so arrogant over and some fans insisted that was BS and he was just doing wonderfully. I wonder if they would still say that now.

• Members

With regards to Robin Wright, sometimes I cut her slack on her attitude toward the show because of all the drama she had surrounding the show while she was a cast member. 

I'm just sorry the main talk show host to talk with her about her soap past is so wretched I can't sit through anything they do unless someone pays me.

• Members

Her returning for the finale was huge, so I have to imagine that she was grateful for her time there. And soap operas are a good training ground from what I've read so probably gained a lot of skill from being on the show.

• Members

Something about more heard him in TMNT then saw his 6 years on PC. But he sure didnt mind taking pay for 6 years and I liked Chris Ramsey & I hoped Chris woulda transplanted to GH

As for Demi its weird on talk shows shes been iffy on GH but John Stamos said that they had a great talk about GH back when the show turned 50

Plus Julianne it seems has mad love for Kathryn Hays & Don Hastings

• Members

This category should be NAMED after her! It really bothered me because MR was no great shakes on ATWT. Frankly, I was shocked when she gained movie fame basically playing in her same limited range.  

Plus as @Khan notes: The irony is that her far more talented and successful ATWT alum Julienne Moore has always been appreciative of what the show did for her career,. @ReddFoxx JM requested to appear on ATWT after the cancellation was announced! And this was after she'd already received 4 Academy Award nominations.