LATEST RATINGS: March 18-22, 2019

Toups

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice boost in the ratings for Y&R. This was the week where you could start to really feel that Josh was taking over the show. During this week Ana's secret was revealed and Jett/Elena were introduced. It was revealed that Mia/Arturo really did sleep together during the night of the snowstorm, and that JT really was alive. He returned after the women escaped prison, and faced off with them. Summer goes into surgery to give part of her liver to Lola after just marrying and making love to Kyle.

A lot more things were going on and more movement was being made for storylines that had been stagnant for months when Mal was solely in charge.  (Especially JT's storyline and to a lesser degree Ana's secret). I  think that viewers liked that the show was picking up the pace and finally starting to bring the JT storyline to an end/introduce other storylines. I think that the show could maybe hold this nice boost in ratings for a bit. (Now that Josh has fully taken over and there are more storylines, characters being introduced and returns happening.) I also think that the show may do very well in the ratings when Neil's tribute episodes air. 

• Members

The show's just ... anti climatic. I don't really care about a thing going on :/ I'd love to care ... lol. It feels so ... empty at times. He hasn't really gone off the rails. Off the rails would at least be entertaining. No one is having LSD dreams ... yet ...

Please register in order to view this content

it's just ... BORING. It's not even awful, IMO. It's just ... there ... (and everyone's mileage may vary on "awful" ... the show isn't being destroyed ... it's just .... blah)

This period of time on DAYS often sucks for whatever reason. I remember years past this timeframe sucks. It should pick up later in the summer and into fall. I just don't understand the difference. It's like Ron gets some freedom leading up to a renewal. Then the show turns to crap. Then it becomes kinda watchable again before wash/rinse/repeat. I'm not *not* blaming Ron, but I see a lot of other issues with DAYS that keep repeating themselves ...

It's time for a shakeup. I don't agree with every exit coming up but for the most part ... it's time for a switch up.

Unfortunately, like OLTL and GH, he relies a bit too much on falling back on short arcs involving the villains. Sure it's entertaining ... but it's wash/rinse/repeat. Anjelica/Hattie/Bonnie/Vivian/Diana/Kristen/Xander/Kristen again/Vivian again/Xander again. At least Xander and Kristen seem to be sticking around for a little longer this go around. But, they still have a shelf life, as much as I enjoy them.

I need Belle and Shawn and Carrie, at minimum, to stop making guest appearances. I want them full time. I feel like someone doesn't want them around full time (and it isn't Ron, he uses them). Ken needs to accept Martha and Brandon are now Belle and Shawn. Kirsten and Jason are NOT coming back  and at least Christie Clark is living her best life traveling and enjoying her family  

And I miss Peter Reckell.

I don't miss Sami. She pops up enough 

Sarah's nice. But why can't we have Mike Horton (instead they spent almost a decade forcing Daniel Jonas down our throats only to discard him like the trash he was)? Recast. Roark is recastable. I always thought it'd be a trainwreck to see Mike and Kate get involved ... all things considered ... but I'm tired of her being the slut of Salem

There's just a lot of things missing for me.

Rope SUCK. They are AWFUL. The writing and how Gering plays smug Rafe doesn't help. Rafe is much better as a snarky cop. I liked him, sort of, with Jordan. I liked him with Kate. I liked his friendship with Nicole. I liked the idea of Rafe and Carrie. But they keep forcing him into pairings that don't work for anyone involved. Sami and Rafe sucked. Hope and Rafe sucked. Who is deadset on keeping Rafe and Hope together? The writers seem to despise them as much as we do. Hope is a shell of a character at this point. Like Daniel did to numerous women he was with, Hope's had the life sucked out of her. Honestly, Kristian seems bored as hell in this relationship. She plays Hope like she's half dead. Maybe it's an acting choice or she's just checked out. 

Ben and Ciara don't work for me because I can't and won't forget he's a serial killer. Not saying they don't have chemistry, but Ben wasn't just a bad boy who did some bad things and is seeking redemption.

Eve Donovan as a racist doesn't work for me. Jack and Jennifer aren't where I want them to be. Not saying reunited but it's been a miss up until maybe this week ...

Haley doesn't bother me but her and JJ lack chemistry. Haley and Tripp make much more sense, and he's leaving (I believe, but I don't know how confirmed it is considering they tape so far ahead and I just can't keep track anymore what's confirmed but not *confirmed*). I don't get it ... Lucas Adams has a lot of potential. Shame.

The lack of a budget really does hurt this show in a massive way.

Anywho ...

• Members

After watching DAYS for years, I just stopped a couple of months ago...cold turkey. I liked a lot of what RC did the first year. Loved the focus on the families again, but the past few months have been soooooooo dull. I just couldn't anymore. Maybe I'll watch again once Paul Telfer is back running around shirtless in those little shorts.

Please register in order to view this content

Kate having an affair with Mike would be so juicy...especially if Laura were back to go nuts over it!

ROPE is sooooo boring. No chemistry whatsoever. I think GG seems like a great guy, but I feel like Rafe is so over. They've tried so hard to make him work, but he doesn't (Just like Daniel didn't).

If they insisted on bringing these two together, they really needed to somehow retcon the serial killer angle. I just can't get past it.

I like some of the spark Eve brings, but I think Jack is a miss because...he's not Jack. He has that damn amnesia thing. BTW...where the hell was he supposed to have been these past few years?

I love they brought in more diversity with Haley (and Melinda). I hope that continues. I REALLY miss Paul. He was on of DAYS best finds in a very long time.

Lucas Adams had such loads of potential it's a crime how they wasted him. He totally could have been the new "IT" guy for the younger generation. He's cute, he can ACT, and he had chemistry with people.

This is one of the reasons I stopped watching. Salem began to feel so claustrophobic. The sets soooo tiny. If I saw that room with the two door and window redressed as something else one more time I was going to scream. That is followed up by that park bench everyone stops at to gossip.

• Members

Glad I'm not alone! Though I think most DAYS fans would agree with us ... lol. Except for the Rope stans and Cin stans. Sigh.

Lucas Adams was the next Casey Moss for me. I'm bummed they have no interest in him.

The problem too with DAYS is that they get feedback and I imagine they realize fans aren't thrilled with Nadia exiting, Lucas exiting, Claire's finally become entertaining to watch and she's leaving, Haley/Tripp are much more liked than JJ/Haley ... yet they're filming Halloween (if not into November at this point) ... they're incapable of reversing course ... meanwhile, Y&R and GH can reverse course fairly quickly. And we all know B&B just randomly drops things all the time.

But they don't seem to see it as problem? I know Ron's addicted to his twitter, he sees the feedback ...

I appreciate the diversity too.

I also don't really need Sheila and Abe to be paired simply because they're both black and in the same town. Sheila could have been Abe's sister or something ... or better yet ... they don't need to be related OR paired ... what a novel idea ... I like T-Boz but Sheila feels unneccessary, honestly. They had a great actress they never used in Vanessa A. Williams. 

Agreed on the show feeling claustrophobic.

I'm tired of the lackluster sets and I'm tired of always seeing the same sets.

So many little things.

I also think you can't write a soap when everyone on contract (minus a couple of people) has like 1 or 2 episodes a week ... 

Yep, they tried to make Rafe happen. And like Daniel, they seem to know it didn't happen. But yet, GG remains employed. I actually like GG, but Rafe is a lost cause. DUMP HIM!

Personally, with Jack, I don't mind he's different, because in many ways I don't think he is. He was never the comedic relief goofball he was turned into ... he was always serious and hard to crack and Jennifer really opened him up, and him her. I think they're trying to go for a similar thing here but it sort of falls flat. I think Matt Ashford is doing his best to convey Jack's range of confusion and emotion but something's missing for me.

• Members

Speaking of diversity, what’s going on with Eli and Lani? I’m all for cycling characters in and out of story, but they’ve been resting for a while now. Over a year, I believe (I’m not watching). GH has only done slightly better with Curtis and Jordan.

• Members

They probably have a low episode guarantee, as does most of the cast. Still ... they need better writing. Eli and Lani just sort of exist for me. I like them but they don't give them enough meat to dig into as characters. Cutting Valerie didn't help. And Lani and Abe rarely share scenes. They share some, but a lot more would have helped.

• Members

Sheila being Abe's sister would have been a nice way to go with it. She could have still brought him conflict- maybe even more if he had a con sister to forgive. Vanessa Williams was such a natural and had such great chemistry with everyone. I was really disappointed that they never really utilized her or gave her material to match her talents.

• Members

She basically had a 4 episode a month guarantee, so she was never going to be leading a story. It's definitely a loss though and a shame they never did more with her. I also think killing David off-screen was a mistake. Couldn't they have gotten like Joe Lando to step in to the role, I mean, he was willing to play a judge on B&B during that dumb custody [!@#$%^&*]? 

• Members

Yeah, it’s typical for shows to feel like they’ve gotten a shot in the arm when new regimes start, as the outgoing team’s stories are wrapped up, etc. It happened with early LML, certainly early MAB, even Pratt to an extent, but we know how irrevocably damaging their tenures ended up. And it’s not like most of us loved Josh’s stuff the last time around. He’s just favorable compared to the tyranny and outright incompetence of Mal Young. Megan McTavish might look good compared to Mal.

Let’s check on JG in November/December when his stories are really in full swing, and ratings aren’t artificially goosed by a devastating tragedy beyond his control. Not saying we won’t see YOY improvement; Mal brought Y&R to its knees, after all. But the show will probably not be something we’d want to watch. (I’m not watching both because I can’t watch live anymore and nothing strikes me as interesting, but the KSJ tribute is already scheduled on my DVR. Hopefully we won’t have preemptions.)

Archived