2019 Daytime Emmy Nominations

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed. When I see someone like Heather Tom (who I feel has been over-hyped all these years as B&B's Katie) tying with the grande dame Erika Slezak, the whole thing is indeed silly now. 

Get rid of Younger Leading Actor & Actress. I've thought that for nearly a decade. It was created around 1985 to keep a child actor like Kimberly McCullough or the kid playing Benji DiMera on DAYS from running in the same category as an Erika Slezak, La Lucci, or Liz Hubbard. 

IMO, the Daytime Emmys started feeling completely worthless around the time that the main 3 networks stopped airing them (2009, on the CW). The following two years on CBS were those weird glorified infomercials for Las Vegas when the ceremony was held there. And of course, post 2012, there's only 4 shows left. Participation nomination indeed, especially for Best Show. 

• Members

Wasn't there a controversy at the 1984 Daytime Emmys when Judi Evans won Supporting Actress and she wasn't even 20 years old at time. I think her win is the reason why the younger categories were added the following year but there was no age limit until 1989 I think when it was set to 21 and then in 1991 the age limit became 25.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's surprising that they are still even doing the awards since daytime is so limited now. Four soaps is too low of a number to even be competitive and all the shows are just getting nominations for existing which is pathetic. The fact that all of Days of Our Lives' wins have been post cancellation of the other soaps is sort of embarrassing. It is sad because I remember how prestigious the Daytime Emmys were despite daytime never being as respected as primetime. Now it's just like a chamber of commerce banquet or something.