Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin indicted in bribery case

• Members

I'm not so sure about that, tbh.  Martha's crime mainly hurt Martha.  You could say that others were adversely affected by her participation in insider trading but those affected were mainly the greedy sharks on Wall Street, not kids who studied their brains out hoping to go to the college of their dreams.  

Add to that, Loughlin has not even released a statement of contrition a la Felicity Huffman.  

If Loughlin goes to trial, much will depend on how she conducts herself during the trial. 

I specifically remember Martha Stewart's trial and one thing people remarked on was the fact that despite the appearance of being totally resolute about her innocence during the trial, once the verdict was in, Stewart seemed even more resolute in accepting what the judgement had pronounced.  To a scrum of media journalists and television cameras, Stewart declared that she wasn't afraid of hard work and that she intended to make the most of her time in prison. Stewart helped other incarcerated women while she was there (the poncho she wore as she walked out of prison was made by a fellow prisoner) and I think that was what went a long way in building her street cred. Also, hanging out with rappers didn't hurt her cause either.

But yeah, you talk about taking away places from other people's kids by way of graft and you've got a genuine problem in terms of getting (back) into people's good graces.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not every mom!  No way would Mama Khan have helped me get into Northwestern* other than to tell me to study hard and quit watching so much television.  And she was someone who resented how her parents wouldn't help her pay for nursing school tuition, yet helped her sister (my aunt) pay for hers at Oklahoma Banking & Business School (which, by the way, she dropped out of).

* I got in -- strictly on my own merits -- but I ultimately chose not to attend, because (surprise!) our family couldn't afford it.

• Members

She doesn't realize how far over the edge she's gone.  Not everyone is so obsessed with status that they would cheat their way into a school their child doesn't even care about.  There are plenty of people who would never do this even if they could.