Eurovision Song Contest 2006

Huntress

• Members

The 51th Eurovision Song Contest will take place in Athens, Greece, on May 18th (semi-final) and May 20th (the big final). Last year Helena Paparizou won the contest with her smash hit "My Number One".

38 countries will compete this year.

Participants of the semi final are:

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegowina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, F.Y.R. of Macedonia, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slowenia, Sweden, Turkey and Ukraine.

The best ten of the semi final will join these countries in the final:

Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Latvia, Malta, Moldova, Norway, Romania, Serbia & Montenegro, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

In both finals, all 38 countries will cast their votes via televoting and give 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points to the other countries.

Many songs of the different countries have already been chosen in their national finals.

I added my personal grades in brackets.

++ = very good

+ = good

+/- = average

- = bad

-- = very bad

Participants of the final:

>> Denmark: Sidsel Ben Semmane "Twist Of Love" (++)

>> Germany: Texas Lightning "No, No Never" (+)

>> Malta: Fabrizio Faniello "I do" (+/-)

>> Norway: Christine Gulbrandsen "Alvedansen" (++)

>> Romania: Mihai Traistariu "Tornerò" (+)

>> Switzerland: All4One "If we all give a little" (+/-)

>> United Kingdom: Daz Sampson "Teenage Life" (+)

Yet to be announced: Greece, France, Israel, Latvia, Moldova and Serbia & Montenegro.

Participants of the semi-final:

>> Albania: Luiz Ejlli "Zjarr e ftohte" (+/-)

>> Andorra: Jennifer "Sense tu" (-)

>> Belarus: Polina Smolova "Mama" (--)

>> Bosnia & Herzegowina: Hari Mata Hari "Lejla" (+/-)

>> Belgium: Kate Ryan "Je t'adore" (++)

>> Croatia: Severina "Moja stikla" (+)

>> Estonia: Sandra Oxenryd "Through My Window" (+/-)

>> Iceland: Silvia Nott "Til hamingju Island" (-)

>> Ireland: Brian Kennedy "Every song is a cry for love" (-)

>> Lithuania: LT United "We are the winners" (-)

>> F.Y.R. of Macedonia: Elena Risteska "Ninananja" (+/-)

>> Poland: Ich Troje "Follow My Heart" (+/-)

>> Slowenia: Anzej Dezan "Plan B" (+/-)

>> Turkey: Sibel Tüzun "Süper Star" (+/-)

Yet to be announced: Bulgaria, Finland, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden and Ukraine.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That depends. Of course neighbouring countries tend to give each other 12 points but this is not always the case. For example, last year Malta finished on second place with its power ballad "Angel" and 192 points.

If a country sends a song to the contest which is crap, then they shouldn't be angry if they finish on the last spots.

Although it was kind of striking that the big 4 - UK, Germany, Spain and France - finished on the last four places last year.

Anyway, videos of the performances from the national finals can be found here:

http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/Athens2006media.htm

• Members

I think the problem is that the Western European countries vote different than the Eastern European countries. In West Europe, most countries hardly receive any points from their neighbours. The only "relationships" I can think of right now are Andorra<->Spain, Greece<->Cyprus and France<->Malta.

Of all four big countries, France didn't deserve such a low score last year because Ortal's song was great. The other three were justified.

I was also very upset when the Netherlands did not reach the final - their singer had such a powerful voice.

One of my favourite all time winners is the transsexual Dana International from Israel who won in 1998 with her song "Diva". It was milestone in Eurovision history. My other favourite is Turkey's winner from 2003.

Video of "Diva" live performance in 1998

Video of "Everyway That I Can" live performance in 2003

• Members

OMG, you put a plus next to Croatia?! I am from Croatia and most Croatia hates our song (including me)... but I guess it's a good sign that people outside Croatia like the song.. lol

If you only understood the lyrics... you would be laughing really hard.. lol

• Members

Manny, I think the song is cool, really, especially the instrumental parts.

I know that "Moja stikla" means "My stilettos" ;) Does "Africa Paprika" have a special meaning? S-s-s-sexy :D

I'm sure it will score in the Top10.

Have you heard about the disaster in Serbia & Montenegro? I think this is really extreme.

• Members

No, I don't think Africa Paprika has any meaning! LOL But the whole song makes no sense, so.. :P:D

Yeah, sure I have heard about the disaster in S&M! Maybe extreme, but I think the situation is really unbearable there, because Montenegro wants to become an independant country and Serbia doesn't want that. It's all political.. too bad that had to be shown in a freakin music contest..

But at least now people are saying that since Croatia was #11 last year, that we might get into the finals without going to the semi finals! That would be cool! :D

• Members

Now that all countries have held their national finals, I'm re-ordering the list of my favourites.

Excellent!

>> Belgium: Kate Ryan "Je t'adore"

>> Croatia: Severina "Moja stikla"

>> Germany: Texas Lightning "No No Never"

>> Finland: Lordi "Hard Rock Hallelujah"

>> Norway: Christine Gulbransen "Alvedansen"

Good

>> Denmark: Sidsel Ben Semmane "Twist Of Love"

>> Greece: Anna Vissi "Everything"

>> Turkey: Sibel Tüzün "Süper Star"

Average

Malta, United Kingdom, Romania, Switzerland, Albania, Bosnia, Iceland, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland

Bad to very bad

The rest! The worst of this year's songs have to be Israel, France, Spain, Portugal, Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus.

• Members

Theres's going to be an American version? Wow...

Huntress, it's great to see Croatia that high on your list, even though I still can't believe that anyone would like that song.. lol But as the time goes by, more and more people here in Croatia started to love the song, so I guess it's good to have a few laughs and some fun with it.. :D

Anyways, where are your from? What's your country's song like?

• Members

Well since Serbia & Montenegro quit this year from the competition, Croatia is now going directly to the finals!!! :D Because we were #11 last year and now that S&M quit, we are now like #10 and we are in the finals! :D

Archived