OWN picks up Jamey Giddens scripted show!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am frankly surprised Jamey got this far but we'll see what happens. Who knows what his role actually is, but If his position is a real one he's no longer a civilian. If the show takes off he'll have to be much more careful online. Those of us who work in the industry further BTS have it a little easier.

As reckless and immature as I have sometimes found him, I also think he sometimes hits on real truth in his commentary (as well as some truly bad commentary) and has some decent to good ideas and a real grasp of good story fundamentals. I also think he's pitched some absolutely terrible ideas. But who hasn't? Different strokes for different folks - and Jamey does love soap opera, and he has evolved a bit over recent years. I wish him the best with it.

Edited by Vee

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Not to mention the cold shoulder DC gave to the Prospect Park soaps, the desperate attempts to hype Ron and Frank's GH, the shilling for certain Y&R producers, and the sneering, elitist tone taken in a number of their articles in those days (like the man who reviewed ATWT's final week like a bad parody of a film studies course). 

Nothing I ever saw of DC told me they had any idea what soaps were about. So why would I want to watch anything they are involved in?

• Members

Yes he spearheaded it seemed to me the hatred the soap press had for the Prospect Park soaps.  Was that because he thought it would take away from his dream team over at GH?  I never got all of that.  I suspect now it would be different--since Hulu has shows that are treated on an equal footing as any network show--but at the time the thought seemed to be that the soap press would gain nothing by covering them...

• Members

Well, since I don't subscribe to cable, there's no question that I won't be watching this soap, lol.

I tried to listen to the DC podcast years ago but found it way too shrill and overlong but I distinctly remember a lot of mocking by JG of Eric Nelsen, in particular, as if to suggest that Nelsen was a bad actor.  I thought that, for a novice soap actor, Nelsen was a relatively quick study and made decent improvements.  I've certainly seen much worse on daytime soaps.  

The critiques seemed to be pretty shallow and based on the superficial.  It wasn't long before I stopped listening to the podcast because all and all, I found it to be tiresome.

Come to think of it, remembering the last episode of the Y&R that I watched, they'd be lucky if they could look anything like  PP soap, tbh.