Your daily (or nightly) thought

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Shades of what's happened with soaps tbh, in terms of conservative regression re: content and stories (albeit for different reasons). Darn and I were just talking the other day about how CBS (of all networks) in the early 2000s flirted with skirting the edge towards softcore on daytime, pre-Super Bowl. And then there's the Cat Hickland/Ty Treadway scene on OLTL.

These kids couldn't handle Adrien Lyne's movies, or Verhoeven.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It’s so weird to see having grown up on erotic thrillers Iike you mentioned and Skinemax and more salacious, objectifying stuff Porky’s and Trading Places. I get not wanting to watch  sex scenes with your parents but there’s an odd puritanical streak that’s running through the culture right now. I see all these tweets with people saying “Unpopular opinion: I hate sex in movies,” as if they’re saying something novel. A tweet was trending last night about bringing back the Hays Code. People were objecting to that but mostly on the grounds of how it limited portrayals of non-straight cis white people.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

It's a weird progressive puritanism at times too, a counterpoint both to the Bush-era culture shock post-Super Bowl in the 2000s and to the same right-wing hyper-puritanism over anything LGBT that is currently a major threat today. It seems there's a double standard too IMO: If it's content progressive viewers want to consume of their favorites nude or simulating sex onscreen in products they enjoy then it's all fun and games. If they don't like it then it's violence or too exploitative. Two sides of the same hypocritical coin.

• Members

But to piggyback off this thought that I find it funny that I've had such a productive day...full of writer-related stuff, all day rugby (since all the world teams were in L.A. this weekend with their bubbles intact heehee and it was a bad rain storm up there), called off from work, AND wine, and yet all I can think is that even though I have done the right thing for a friend and will continue to do so...all I want to do is go find Said Friend and rock his world...consequences be darned.