ALL: Female Friendships that were on equal footing?

• Members

It seems like every time they have a friendship in soaps, it always seems to be slanted toward only one party (especially with women)

OLTL: Blair and Téa becoming all about Blair being Téa's handmaiden...or with Viki/Dorian where Viki was always right, moral, and superior, while Dorian was constantly begging for forgiveness.

AMC: Greenlee was a force of nature for a long time during her entrance and during the Leo years. She was more of Erica's daughter than any of the biological ones. However, her friendship with Kendall (Kenlee) ruined everything as they de-clawed Greens into a simpering sidekick. 

GH: Hayden becoming de-clawed and tossed with Dr. Caleb to prop Liz's boring self. Poor Budig having to play both destructions of once-great characters.

DAYS: Gabi and Abigail. It seems like it's all about propping Gabi. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH - Anna & Felicia had a nice friendship in the 80s. Course, this was the era of the adventure and intrigue storylines so they (Anna, Felicia, Robert & Frisco) were like a crime-fighting team. Not your average friendship but still enjoyable to watch. 

• Members

I think soaps had a lot of female friendships that were "equal"----back in the day. ATWT's Kim/Lisa, Lisa/Barbara and GL's Vanessa/Maureen come to mind. (I'd even add in ATWT's Carly/Molly & Lisa/Julie as "naughty girl" friendships, and there was Carly/Emily/Rose for a while) There was Katherine/Nikki on Y&R, Margo/Jess on ATWT.

There are probably lots of examples---because back in the day, everyone ALWAYS had at least one friend in town.

• Members

@P.J., you took the words right out of my mouth. I quickly thought of Lisa & Kim (ATWT) and Vanessa/Marueen (GL). 

I'd add Rachel/Felicia on AW. When Rachel did mess that Felicia didn't agree with, she'd call her on it and vice versa. One was in peril, the other wasn't too far behind. I think that Felicia's alcoholism is one story that springs to mind about how they had even footing and a strong friendship even though we saw it break apart for awhile. 

I think that Sharon/Dru was a friendship on equal footing too. It is the ONE genius thing that LML did right during her entire time at Y&R

It is sad now how soaps don't even display strong female bonds and this is a genre geared to women. You'd think nowadays with the strong movement of feminism and girl power that soaps would show that once again. Instead, they'd prefer all the women to be at odds with each other over a piece of penis. 

• Members

I liked Sam and Maxie's friendship on GH.  They have since left one another's orbit, but I always enjoyed them together.

Speaking of female friendships on soaps, I just had a funny memory.  Does anyone remember the old Turtle-Run board?  There was a poster there named Phoenix.  I remember a thread when someone asked "would anyone mind if Jen and Greta became friends?"  Phoenix replied "I wouldn't mind if Jen and Greta became more than just friends."

• Members

By the late 1980's, I would say Katherine and Nikki were friends of equal standing on Y&R.  Didn't start that way but was by then.  Same with Nina and Cricket, I would say they spent more time as equals in friendship by the time Nina left.

GH- Anna and Felicia for sure.  Both in their own super couples and still good friends.  Monica and Bobbie were too by mid 1980's on.  I thought Liz and Emily had a pretty good friendship too, for the most part.

GL- Maureen and Vanessa for sure.

• Members

GH- Forgot Brenda & Robin. They treated each other like sisters. (At least they did back in the day...haven't watched in ages so don't know if that still holds/held true.) I guess the same could be said for Brenda & Lois. I always thought that one of Brenda's better qualities was that she was a pretty loyal friend.

• Members

Days- Maggie and Marlena, I don’t know know it’s not played now. 

I believe Marlena and Julie were good friends at one point. 

Jennifer/Billie/Kristen

I loved Vanessa & Maureen on GL, and even though it’s not a female friendship, I loved Maureen & Roger’s closeness. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I feel like Y&R's Katherine and Nikki would be one.

ATWT's Barbara and Lisa. They had falling outs, which is realistic, but they had a great friendship. I remember when Barbara and John saved Lisa from Martin Chedwyn. I guess Kim and Lisa as well, though I never liked Kim much.

On the flip side, I felt Erica's friendships on AMC were awful. I get she was a selfish character, but it seemed like she was never really there for Myrtle or Opal when they needed someone. If she was, it seemed like it was in passing. 

• 1 month later...

Archived