Days Of Our Lives Renewed

• Members

I would say "fought," mostly because I saw P&G let their soaps slowly choke to death and I saw Valentini drown OLTL in stunt casting and cheap camp and go along with a purge of queer and minority characters in favor of generic ab rollers and stories that tell viewers how wild and hot it is for women to be raped. It's not what DAYS should be, but it's more than the other soaps got. 

The show is going to go at some point, but it's been a decade of this, and part of the reason it's stayed is because those in charge have done enough to get by. I wish that translated to more quality onscreen - a hell of a lot more quality - but I do think they are trying. And given that NBC is in a healthier position than it was for many of the years DAYS narrowly got a renewal, I guess the efforts were enough. 

In a way it's just really like what went on with GL's last decade, in that I think many involved care, and the core identity of the show is still in place, but that isn't going to bring back what it once was. 

I hope that Irna Philips is somewhere working some sort of magic that might mean this escapes GL's fate...but either way, one more year is something I didn't think they'd get.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good news on several levels.

Cast and crew keep their jobs for at least another year.

Hopefully Ron will do something that creates some interest and gets the numbers moving up.

One thing that always puzzles me is that despite budgets being slashed the cast is quite large and not always well utilized. Surely up to 10 characters could be dropped to save money.

But Days is always adding people eg A Martinez,Vincent I etc that don't come cheap and really arent needed story wise.

• Members

Well, in that vein, yes, he has fought for his show, but I don't like to give him much credit LOL. He's often checked out and clueless, I mean, you've read his interviews. He'll check in, push his favorites (or his wife's) and then hit the golf course. But I think without him DAYS probably would have been dead a long time ago. It's clear the cast and crew fight for their show. As does the fanbase.

It burns me as well how P&G treated their soaps. I really don't understand why they couldn't sell them if they didn't want to do anything. Sucks.

They almost have more cast on recurring than contract. Well, not literally but it seems like it, LOL. And I'd rather watch most of them than about half of who are on contract.

I'm sure they are. I'd hope so. They have to know the reality.

I'm happy for the cast and crew. I really am, but I just can't find myself getting as excited as I used to get about these renewals.

Archived