Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, I feel the same way as you about that. But what I'm suggesting, if not expecting, is that you obsess over it slightly less and let the story play out a bit before you apply the schematic.

Case in point. You're not going to let them cast anyone before assuming Devon will be damaged for them. Chill.

• Members

Joanna v Gloria could be quite entertaining (in small doses).

I really hope that SS/KA have a plan over the next year to address missing characters and bring some back.

Nate/Chance/Scotty for starters.

As for the earlier mentions of wealthy characters, there needs to be middle class/poorer characters to provide contrast.

So much story can be mined through that. Nikki,the Fosters,the Williams etc provided that reality and relatability back in the day.

The rich folk back then were not billionaires hanging around small towns.

I guess Lance Prentiss was the first character to be presented as 'jetset'

• Members

Actually that would have been Lorie Brooks herself coming home from a party lifestyle in Europe but contrast that to manicurist Jill who specifically was trying to get a very wealthy woman to become a regular client for money just so her family could pay for electric bills. I wish the classism difference issues that Bell so wonderfully addressed in the '70's remained present til the present day. 

• Members

Me too. It's been years since I've looked forward to watching Y&R every day to see what's new.

I remember being in their various kitchens with my mother, my grandmother and all of my aunts while they listened to the radio soaps. I've got a long soap-loving history.

It's always been true that I like some parts of any soap and don't care for others. Y&R doesn't have to blow up my skirt with every story they tell, as long as the writing works for the stories and characters I care about. So far, I'm enjoying the new regime.

• Members

Maybe when they have Eric Forrester/John M. visit from the Bold and the Beautiful, he can bring Quinn with him.  I didn't watch much when Gloria was on Y&R the last time - I didn't watch for about 10 years.  But if the powers that be think they need a character to drive story (and eat up an entire show) - Quinn/Rena Sofer is the person to do it.  I haven't minded Gloria the times I've seen her since I started watching regularly again around 3 to 4 years ago.  Quinn could be jealous of anyone Eric talks to and then everyone can talk about Quinn even on the days when she's not on.  It's ridiculous.  I sure hope Sussman isn't taking notes from B&B when it comes to a "character" to drive story because B&B became a cartoon. 

• Members

I had to take Bold off the DVR, sadly. It is totally unwatchable.

There was a time when Gloria and the Baldwins were the center of the show. I doubt Sally goes back to that. At least I hope not. I know alot of people didn't appreciate it but I didn't have much problem with it. So it couldnt have been too bad. Gloria has always amused me. 

But then I watched the show with a totally different eye than I do now. So my opinion might be different with all things being equal. 

• Members

I mostly remember Guiding Light and One Man's Family. Everyone seemed to like those two. My mother disliked Ma Perkins but one of my aunts listened to it faithfully. There were others too, but I don't think they planned their kitchen time around them like Guiding Light and One Man's Family.

My mother loved soaps throughout her life, and she watched quite a few of them after they began to show up on television.

By the way, I agree with what you said upthread about soaps fueling your fantasies. I grew up in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and soaps showed us a life we wouldn't have dreamed of otherwise.

• Members

I have never heard of One Man's Family. I absolutely love The Andy Griffith show and Aunt Bee would listen to her radio soaps. That's pretty much my only experience/knowledge on radio soaps. I'm fascinated. Did these come on daily and for how long? I listen to Radio classics, which I Iove,  on XM radio but there are never any soap operas on. It's mostly comedy or mystery, like The Whistler.  I think I'm going to give them some feedback and request they run a season of a soap opera. It can't hurt. 

That was surely me. While I love seeing people that look like me on TV, I am not interested in seeing them live like me. I want to see them doing things that I'd never be able to do or things I'd never have the nerve to do. I grew up in the 80's and 90's. That was the time of Dallas, Dynasty, and Falcon Crest. I was drawn to all of that. Even the reality show Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous had my attention. Television, much like novels, has always been about escapism and fantasy. I was just telling another community member how my ideas and how I relate to soaps was set when I was around 11/12 years old living in a rural hamlet that had only 4 stoplights in the entire county. Where you were apt to see a person come visiting by riding a horse almost as much as in a car.  And how i relate hasn't changed in these 20 something odd years despite my going to college and moving away from said hamlet.  I don't necessarily need to relate to the characters, per se.  I dont need to see myself in them. The show is doing its job when I want to be like the character. When I want to live vicariously through the character. Does that make sense?

Edited to add: googling and found episodes of One Man's Family on YouTube. Isn't technology wonderful!? 

Archived