The Oscars

SteveFrame

• Members

As someone who felt that both Crash and Brokeback Mountain dealt with great themes in different ways (only having seen Crash and not yet seen BBM), I don't see what all the hating is about. I think of any two filsm this year, they were on even footing. A friend of mine said that this year was just so good, that the Academy seemed to be trying to give everyone accolades. That's the way I see it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Many Academy members refused to even screen Brokeback as they were disgusted by the content. Hollywood tries to paint itself as some liberal bastian, and it is, but in many ways they are just as homophobic as any Red State they try to bash.

I thought the show itself was pretty bland. I thought all three best songs sucked and Emmylou's Brokeback song should have been nominated (damn the stupid Oscar rules which eliminate some of the best songs).

Jon Stewart was pretty bla. I think mainstream America would have hated him.

I am very happy for Reese and Ang. The other acting winners were predictable but I'm not a big fan so they did nothing for me.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

• Members

I don't understand why some Academy members could have been disgusted by Brokeback's content. As a huge fan of foreign films I have seen many gay guy movies and far more graphic than BBM. Men kissing, what's the big deal? We've seen that before. As for the one scene where Ennis and Jack first get it on, Heath did the exact same scene in "Monster's Ball" only with a woman. Our culture here in the US is way behind :) the times.

• Members

The fact that people are saying BM did not win because it is about homosexuality is ridiculous. If it did win, people who didn't want it to win would be saying that the only reason it DID win was because it's about homosexuality. That's really not a valid argument, especially when you consider the fact that it won director and screenplay.

The movie as a whole, the acting, and the story just were not all that good. Period.

• Members

Crash was a GREAT movie. I saw it 4 times in the theater bc I made all my friends see it. I have bought it and unfortunately the impact it had at the theater on the big screen is lost when watching on DVD. It really is one of those movies you have to see at the theater to fully appreciate the overall feeling you get after watching it.

It was deserving of the Best Picture IMO - Brokeback Mountain was just as deserving though - I really wish there would have been some way both movies could have won.

• Members

This was the first time that I watched the Oscars in its entirety.

I thought Jon Stewart was great as host, but then again I always love him. He got me through some bad moments (ie. the 2004 election) Even when his jokes flop, his reaction is usually funny enough to make up for it.

I thought all of the major wins were good. Loved Reese Witherspoon's speech!

Meryl Streep looked amazing!!! I cannot believe it! I absolutely love her. She's my favourite actress.

Great to see Dolly Parton! Love her!!

I actually didn't think that BM would win Best Picture, but not because of the gay part. I knew that it would win Best Director though. I thought it was a decent movie, but I do think Crash was a lot better. I'm sure Oprah's happy...she did a 2-part show on the movie. I had never even heard of Crash before Oprah mentioned it.

As for the screenplays, I'm glad that Crash won for original. For adapted, though, I was a little disappointed in BM. I had read the story, and they basically used the same exact dialogue verbatim in the movie.

• Members

I'm glad Crash won for one reason (and I haven't seen it yet). Ryan Philippe can be proud to be in an award winning movie. He's a good actor, good-looking, has a great voice, but is overshadowed by Reese, who while adorable, can be overrated at times.

I had a feeling Crash would win. The tide seemed to turn against Brokeback towards the end. So I wasn't shocked as a lot of people when it won.

Dolly Parton as usual kicks ass. But I about ROTFLMAO when Dan told me the Pimp song won! It's good to see the Academy get jiggy with it.

• Members

You know, I don't understand all the gay talk about Brokeback. It doesn't even have gay actors for heavens sake, lol. Now when you have a gay film with gay actors all nominated, THEN you can tell me about it. But this is no different than so many other Hollywood films about gay people featuring straight actors who WIN.

Brokeback may not have gotten Best Picture, but it got countless other awards. Capote, which won for Best Actor is about gay people as well. And let's not forget Phillidelphia which I believe won Best Picture and Best Actor for Tom Hanks.

• Members

"A friend of mine said that this year was just so good, that the Academy seemed to be trying to give everyone accolades. That's the way I see it."

I completely agree. I think last year, more than any other before it, tried to be more about quality than the big, blockbuster bonanzas that blew away the box office in previous years. I think that is an amazing accomplishment. Many of the contenders in the "Best Picture" category struck a chord with the audience and tackled issues that were deeper than the average cookie-cutter schlock piece that Hollywood peddles out. Brokeback and Crash were both good movies, but it had to go to one movie, unfortunately. Too bad they could not have just had a five way tie, but that's the point of an awards ceremony.

• Members

I don't see it that way at all. Oscars plays favorites, every year. I don't think this is a situation where they decided to have every show win instead of one dominating the whole show. :lol: That's kind of silly, IMO.

Archived