• Members

I am happy to see the show had a very good debut. Last night I had saw that it was one of the top trends on Twitter and a lot of people were speaking of it favorably. I think it will continue to do well. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I hope so and I'm hoping that Oprah shows up in the season two episodes as well. So far they haven't upped her episode count yet like they have the others.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHEAP! LMAO I just saw your damn post and I literally snorted!

Edited by London

• Members

This was really, really good. It's all in that 10-minute dinner table scene. That's how you know they get it, that they get the soap in soap opera.

Grace, Lady Mae, James and Mavis are early favorites, all of them superb. Loved the interactions between Grace and Mavis and really interested in seeing Lady Mae vs Grace explored more. As for Faith, as long as her death/absence becomes a so-called character in and of itself, and continues to affect the family/series, instead of being forgotten, then it can haunt the proceedings for a long time. 

The storylines were all intriguing -- Faith's death, Grace's return, Mac's child abuse, Kerissa and Charity's situations, even the children snorting presc meds (although, perhaps, less so than the others lol). I wonder where this tax investigation will lead. The actress playing Charity sticks out, acting-wise. She needs to improve.

Watching Grace (hopefully) take down Mac will be sooooo good. I wanted to scream so bad the way they were all treating her.

• Members

Never seen the heroine of the show before but she's really impressive.

I'm glad someone recognizes Keith David and Lynn Whitfield enough to give them regular TV roles.

But did they ever pull the Cosby reruns?

Edited by Vee

• Members

That pilot was excellent. I dunno where Merle Dandridge has been all our lives but even to me, the casual agnostic at best, that ending with her and Keith David was incredibly emotional - albeit layered since it seems clear her father is at the very least corrupt, vainglorious and tacitly accepting of Uncle Mac's crimes. Presumably Mac knows where all the bodies are buried.

There were a few on the nose moments (it must be said, almost all of them involving Lynn Whitfield, who is a fantastic presence but not exactly subtle), but most new shows have those these days early on and it's nothing like the outlandish [!@#$%^&*] of Tyler Perry's shows. They couldn't be less alike. This is a really strong start and a fascinating world to explore that most TV has never bothered to touch on.

As usual, Lamman Rucker is playing a philandering fool who doesn't know how good he has it. Kerissa may be an attack dog who gave Grace hell over nothing, but she was looking out for her turf and her champion, who would rather text the assistant.

Deborah Joy Winans was really sweet as Charity. I hope she's not one of the homophobes in that RL clan.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I enjoyed tonight’s new episodes. I like how they were paced. They seemed a bit more settled in.

I had thought that the writers might make Kevin gay. Or maybe he is bisexual. Either way I could see him realizing he is attracted/has feelings for that dude at the outreach and that causing problems for him and Charity’s marriage. It doesn’t seem like he knows who he is really is yet, but he and Charity are starting to get more clues. I’m glad that he is not running around cheating on Charity like Jacob is doing to Kerissa. I do believe he really doesn’t want to hurt and cares about Charity regardless of how this story plays out.

I wonder what will happen with Kerissa and Jacob. Hardly anyone really seems to like Kerissa, including Jacob. She comes across as such a pitbull and hungry for power in the church. And no one seems to respect Jacob, including people at his own church. He seems like he’s very disinterested about taking on a bigger role in the church.  Maybe they will end up going their separate ways. They definitely need to be paying more attention to their daughter. I think that she could end up getting Grace’s daughter into all types of trouble.

I still wonder what Lady Mae’s issues with Grace are, but her and the Bishop seem to have most stable relationship so far of everyone on this show. I also am enjoying Oprah’s role as Aunt Mavis. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Nicely put Vee and xtr! Glad you both enjoyed the show and can add some wonderful insight to our discussion.

Vee if you want to check out some of Merle's work, I first saw her pop up on Son's of Anarchy as the new Sheriff's wife, but her scenes weren't crazy long and she mainly shared them with Katey Sagal's Gemma. But she did pop up like four to five times and then after that she was on CWs Star-Crossed as basically a rogue warrior named Vega. It wasn't the best show but I liked her scenes.... her one shot guest spots I don't really recall that well.

• Members

Oh yeah! I forgot about Bounce. They have a church drama that I was watching too. Saints & Sinners with the hella hot Christian Keyes, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Keith Robinson, Clifton Powell & J.D. Williams. Huh, I could have sworn that they renewed it but it looked like 1x08 was their series finale. It definitely pales in comparison to Greenleaf but I did like what I was seeing.