• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She's a legend. I'm just so happy to see her back in something, although IMDb tells me she's been having a few recurring gigs since 2014 but they were on shwos that I don't watch. I gotta watch it from start to finish and then get ready for tonight.

DON'T forget that there is another episode tonight on OWN. 

• Members

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?! TWO! SCREW BIG BROTHER! I'll just DVR that. That's awesome.

I'm recording Greenleaf and they have a block, so the premiere will re-air at 8 p. and like Ang said, 2 flippin' hours of Greenleaf. Thanks for that info!

• Members

Yup, just one last night. 1x02 and 1x03 air tonight at 9 p. and 10 p. respectively.

The opening of the series was absolutely visually stunning. The lighting and that lake... just WOW.

I like the heavy hitters of course, Grace, Dad, Mom and Aunt Mavis. I love Grace and Mavis' interactions... so I think I'm most excited about those scenes and Grace and her father. I am definitely curious about the strained relationship between Grace and her mother. That's something that I would love to see explored throughout the season. I would like to know what Grace meant when she said that she "gave her sister away." That has me thinking.

I wonder what Charity's issue is with Grace trying to help. I mean clearly she is her father's favorite... so she could maybe have some pull with him. But she just kept rebuffing her offer for help. Then, I didn't like the fact that Mac told her to "sit her ass down." Like, you're not her damn daddy. And then no one in her family EXCEPT GRACE (who just got back home) had the balls to say anything to him about how he talked to her. Her own husband was mum. I just don't get that.

I wonder if we'll see Faith in flashbacks or something?

I don't think they needed to waste time on the kids. I have no idea what that snorting of meds scene was all about. Gateway to others kids.... Just say NO.

I liked when Grace went to go see her aunt. I wonder why she sat on that information. Is she scared? Does she just believe Grace is the only one who can solely bring down Mac? I'm ready to see Grace and aunt Mavis turn this mother out.

Edited by London

• Members

Thanks

theres two things I took from that. The first is that she didnt want to be associated with Grace. Grace is like the black sheep of the family now bc she turned away from church. I think Charity was looking out for her image and didnt want Grace to taint it. The second thing was that she is treated like a kid and isnt respected. If she is going to do her own ministry series, she wants it to be something she does on her own, not bc her legendary big sister helped her get it. She seems to be always overshadowed in her family and Grace getting involved was overshadowing her in her own argument. She looks like she desperately wants to find her voice and no one wants to listen, especially with Grace around to take away her shine. Its like even if the family dont like her, they are more concerned about shading and judging Grace than they are about supporting and hearing Charity out

• Members

I can get that Cheap. It makes sense, but I just felt bad how fast her father was to shut her down and no one thought she could do a series. Jacob didn't even vouch for her... hopefully she is able to do it on her own. I mean maybe if she comes up with something concrete that she can take to her father and basically pitch him the idea beforehand so that he can understand where she is coming from and where the climax point will be with the series. As I was listening to her talk about her 12 series segment and how they were laughing talking about "Oh, now there are 12 seasons?" I did the math and she could maybe do a 3 series per season or something which would then make up her magical number of 12.

I was looking and seeing the names, the actress that plays Charity, her real name is Deborah Joy Winans and I thought, is she related to Cee & Bebe and it turns out she's their niece!

Also, Jacob has Z E R O shame. Like you're REALLY trying to get it in in the middle of a sermon. The devil is a lie!

• Members

I wonder what lady mae issues with Grace is too. I could definitely see being mad about leaving home, but when Grace arrived she told her to not to stir up trouble. So it kind of seemed like she didn't even want Grace around. I want to see their relationship and issues with each other explored.

I wonder why Grace abandoned the church. Maybe she saw a lot of corruption in it and decided to abandon it because of that. Or maybe she just wanted to pursue another career path (being a news reporter) and that lead her away from the Church.

But she has been gone for 20 years and there definitely has to be a reason for that. Maybe she had a rebellious streak and decided to leave home? Or maybe she fell in love with a man they didn't improve of or something and that caused her to leave. I am interested in learning why she left and why her mother/other people in her family have issues with her. 

These could definitely be reasons why Charity is upset with Grace. I had wondered why they treat Charity like a child, and don't seem to have a lot respect for her. She is the baby of the family, but she is probably older than Grace was when Grace started preaching. I guess Grace is supposed to be like early 40's?

I know the actress Merle is 41 in real life. So if Grace is around that age and has been gone for 20 years then she would have been very young when she started preaching like early 20's/maybe even late teens.  

When she started preaching she was probably younger than Charity is now, so I wonder why are they treating Charity like she is a child who isn't ready to preach? I wonder if maybe she acts immature/weak and they don't want her stepping into that role.  Maybe her family feels she doesn't have strong enough leadership qualities to preach like her father and sister did. Then again her dad favors Grace, so maybe one reason he hasn't been wanting her to preach is because he has been hoping that Grace would always return and start preaching again. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Grace age confused me bc they talk her up like she's this legendary preacher but she looks mid 40s at best. The way they talk about her, you'd think she'd be in her 50s/60s. I assumed to be a preacher leading a church, she'd have to be at least closer to 30, so if so, she did it for what, about 10 years and then stopped? Definitely not the long legendary career they almost seemed to be implying. I just cant see her as college aged and doing that with them old church bitties actually taking her seriously especially since she's a woman

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

I think she’s at least supposed to be in her 40’s. The preview of the show says she has been gone for 20 years, so I think she has got to be at least in her early 40’s. Especially since they are acting like she had a legendary career. Maybe she started preaching at a really young age like a teenager. Then had a successful/impactful run as a teen/young adult before she quit the ministry.

Edited by xtr