Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith boycott Oscars

alphanguy74

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OG Aunt Viv has beef with Will Smith -- I'm sure she feels her firing under the auspices of 'difficult to work with' prevented her from getting jobs. But that doesn't mean that what she is saying doesn't have a shitload of truth in it.

I'm not against the basic message of JPS's words, but she does sound a bit pompous and... I don't know... talking from within her rarefied bubble?

• Members

Totally agree, I don't know why Jada is so butthurt, Will has been nominated twice,  and Spike Lee has also been nominated twice, and given an honorary Oscar. I think the message would have had much more impact had it come from a great actor that had never been nominated. LMAO at her "The only Oscar I care about is Oscar Mayer wiener".

• Members

For me it was the "Imma e-nun-ci-ate slowly for the dumb people" tone of her delivery -- like she thinks she is bestowing light on those who don't know better. When I'm sure people could tell her plenty about what it means to grow up black in America today. Like I said, her message isn't fundamentally wrong, but her delivery is a little condescending.

ETA: Aaaaaaaaaand sh!t just got messy(ier):

http://dlisted.com/2016/01/19/and-now-alexis-arquette-is-slapping-at-will-smith-and-jada-pinkett-smith/

alexissmiths2016

Thumbnail

Archived