West Wing Alums Return

Josh

• Members

Yes Santos did. And while it really wasn't a big surprise the episode was quite touching. First, I think the characters acted in character as they all reacted to Leo's death. But having said that, the show didn't lose focus and quickly (maybe too quickly) got back to the election plot. The election plot was not without its fair share of excitement though. They did a really sneaky job of telling us that California went Vinnick pretty early on after a 6 month hint that the whole election was going to come down to California. Instead, the whole election came down to Oregon and eventually Nevada. 12 electoral votes between them giving Santos a nose hair's victory. Vinnick did the honourable (but would never happen in real life) thing by conceeding defeat without a legal protest and Santos and indeed Josh won. The tribute to Leo at the end by Josh saying "Thanks boss" was the perfect way to prove that the episode remained balanced and didn't lose sight of the more important event - Leo.

The President's reaction with CJ was also well done. Margerate's reactions were touching as well, very mindful to second season opener when she and Donna waited for the president's wellbeing or when Mrs. Landingham died. I think I would have liked to have seen Kate in this episode but they have done a good job of not mentioning their back story since it flopped.

But Santos' victory was very satisfying. What was most satisfying, however, was the sad contrast to another pivotal moment in TWW's history, the flashbacks in the 2nd season opener where Governor Bartlett and team win the Illinois Primary at the same time Josh learns his dad died. Leo was Josh's surragate dad and pushed him into working for the Bartlet campaign in the first place. He was the one who put Josh on the track and taught him everything he's learned about how to run the campaign. And just like his own dad wasn't there to see the Barlett victory Leo wasn't there to share the Santos/McGarry victory. I was most impressed with this aspect of tongiht's show.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This would have shades of the rumoured Kerry/McCain ticket but I think this is doubtful. While the two characters to respect one another, there is no way Santos or the DNC would let someone with opposing views be the runner up. Based on this, I believe the VP might be one of the following West Wing characters:

-Secretary Berryhill (would have replace Hoynes if not for the Republican Congress)

-Nancy McNally (most qualified)

-Sam Seaborne (a shout-out to long time fans)

-Governor Baker (Al Bundy for VP?)

-Governor of California

Since Willian Devane has another series I doubt they'll go with Berryhill which leaves Nancy and Sam. Nancy is the realistic choice but Sam is the fan favourite. Nancy and Sam are scheduled to appear in later episodes this year.

I know that the show isn't coming back next year and won't be spun-off, but I wonder who would have been who in a Santos West Wing. This is who I'd put:

President: Santos

First Lady: Helen

VP: Nancy McNally

Cheif of Staff: Josh

Deputy COS: Bram

Press Secretary: Lou

Communications Officer: Ronna

Deputy Commuincations Officer: Otto

FLOTUS COS: Donna

National Security Advisory: Kate Harper

Secretary of State: C.J.

Consultant: Toby

Chairperson of the DNC: Will Bailey

Whitehouse Council: Sam Seaborn

• Members

Loved today's episode, but loved the previews even more, lol.

I HATED how they didnt want Tobey at the cemetary. Wtf. Surprised CJ let him in the CHURCH. Ugh. Oh well, I guess I'll always love him, hehe. And Santos made me mad too. Josh knows what hes talking about, and then he goes and hires someone who doesnt and takes his word over Josh's? :(

Previews ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Oooo, you missed a chunck of episodes didnt ya? Tobey leaked secret intel to a reporter and then either resigned or got booted. Josh and now Charlie are the only ones that have really talked to him since. Someone else can explain it better. It was a while ago.

And no VP yet.

• Members

Where to begin?

I really enjoyed the funeral episode and liked their attempts to keep it light by having the CJ/Danny, Josh/Donna relationships bit. But was this really appropraiite for a wake?

How amazing was Bartlet? He can walk into a room and own it despite being beaten and broken. Santos can only admire his skill.

It was great to see the whole extended cast again, but where was Kate? She and Leo share a past and I'm surprised she wasn't even at the funeral or in the episode at all. But how nice was it to see Mallory again, even if we didn't get to talk with her. Many fans were upset with the choice of paul bearers, but I think POTUS, Josh, Charlie, the chairperson of the DNC, Santos and Mallory's husband were all good choices.

It was really really enjoyable to see my favourite characters back again, including Amy (love MLP), Abbey and Ainsley. The A's. And it was nice to see Nancy back as well, along with countless others if you didn't notice, like Hoynes, Russell, the other Nancy... list goes on.

As for what happened with Toby:

If you recall, Toby's brother was an astronaught and he died a few years back. Then, at the end of last season, it turns out that a couple of American astronaughts and some Russian counterparts were stranded in the spacestation and could not be rescued by NASA in time. Somoene leaked classified information that the US military had a top secret spaceship that could rescue them. I can't remember what they ended up doing but the leak became the primary story in the White House and all signs pointed to either CJ or Margaret until Toby confessed to CJ that he did the leak. This was probably the best episode of the season (well the one following the confession) when Bartlet found out and fired Toby. Toby is now under a grand jury investigation for consipracy and leaking classified info. He won't give up his source who was either CJ, the President, his brother, Leo or someone else that had very classified info. Toby, however, has stated that it wasn't his brother and he refuses to take the AG's deal and blame it on his brother because Toby refuses to debase a good man's reputation just to save his own skin. Toby's ex-wife Andy isn't as happy with this decision because it means at lest 3 years in prison, minimum. The President was livid when he found out and hasn't forgiven Toby. CJ hasn't had much story to show her reaction but you can tell she is in pain because of it but she can't and won't contact him. Could it be because she's the source? CJ did have a relationship with the journalist (who is now in jail for refusing to give up his source)... who knows. No one connected to the White House is allowed or willing to talk to him. Toby and Josh overcame their differences and Toby helped Josh strategize over the campaign. Charlie proved that he's a class act last episode by sticking by Toby. Charlie for president I say.

As for VP, I think they dropped a HUGE hint as to who VP will be. I think that Santos was interviewing Josh for the VP job by seeing his reaction about going to the chairperson of the DNC to lead the transition team. Josh isn't a "yes" man and perhaps Santos appreciates that and is giving Josh the key to the Whitehouse (or at least the ticket) in 8 years. I think that is how it will end, wish Josh getting that job. Lou will probably get COS.

• Members

I should seriously just wait to post until you do my friend, lol. You are soooo right! I was thinking along the same lines, but I thought Santos was just testing Josh to see if he'll make a good COS, because they arent just supposed to go along with you. Although Josh has very little experience to be doing something that big (VP)....

• Members

Haha, don't wait for me to post b/c then I'll have nothing to go on. :P

You are right, I Josh doesn't have the experience or the grooming to be VP but since the show isn't coming back I'm thinking the writers might willing to overlook that for the sake of making fans happy. But then again, Josh would probably prefer the COS position. And according to the previews, he is going to offer Sam the deputy COS position.

I personally think the best feasible VP for the show would be Nancy McNally. Santos needs some military/foriegn affairs experience and that is definately something Josh lacks. He is a relative softy compared to Leo. And Amy was spot on when she said that Josh is looking to replace Leo with Leo and sadly Leo isn't available. Tear.

Can we all just stop for a second and swoon over Amy? I am a Josh and Donna fan but Amy is so hot. MLP is such a gorgeous actress and this character... I know a lot of people hated her but I don't see it. I love Amy!

I'm going to miss this show. I know it went downhill since Aaron Sorkin left but the show rebounded and I'm really enjoying the lame-duck swan song storyline. It is not easy to write an "out with the old, in with the new" storyline and I think the show is doing this beautifully. Although is Leo's wake really the approrpiate place to be get upset you can't sleep with Donna or CJ? I mean, c'mon.

• Members

Well, I guess they didnt want it to be completely depressing. It'd be worse if they just left and went to have sex, lol. And theres only around 3 episodes left, right? Cant be wasting time!!

IA, it wasnt the same after Sorkin left, but I still watched! For a season or two it was rocky, but this season rocked. Josh/Donna!! WOOT! :D

• Members

Thanks guys!!! I will be very VERY upset if they don't set Donna and Josh up for crying out loud!!! Also I don't think Josh is going to be VP, I have seen the season premiere and remember Bartlet hints that CJ and Danny are together, so that's sweet.

As for Toby...gosh I cannot believe they done that to his character. But I knew they were going to have to find ways to write "out" the staff if you will.

• Members

I KNEW IT!!!! Santos and Bartlett were working together... too cute!! And yay for Josh/Donna!!! :) And Sam! Woot! Poor Josh... I think the last time he slept was on the plane to Houston over a year ago, lol.

PREVIEWS, so dont look if you dont want them... Vinnick? Hmm. I dont know how I feel about this. He might not even take it. That'd be cute. The republicans already dislike him for not being conservative enough... and being the VP for a democrat president? Eek. He should just retire, lol. Dunno. We'll see.

Are they going to resolve the Toby trials before the series finale? Are we gonna find out who the leak was? I actually think it would be interesting if they never told us who the leaker was. Just keep it in the back of our minds forever and ever. (Anyone watch the series Angel? There series finale was like that, very open ended).

Hopefully the couples are resolved atleast. I can really see Josh and Donna/CJ and Danny eloping or something right before the inaguration. Wouldnt that be adorable? For the female fans anyway...lol.

Woot! :) Your turn CSW, hahahaha! :D

Archived