Janet Jackson Appreciation Thread

KateW

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Malfunction: The Dressing Down of Janet Jackson—the next FX/Hulu/New York Times doc, Framing Britney Spears-style—premieres November 19. I suspect Justin Timberlake will have another bad few months ahead, as it charts the history behind their Super Bowl debacle and its fallout, including Les Moonves’s blacklisting of Janet.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/janet-jackson-super-bowl-scandal-set-as-latest-new-york-times-doc-for-fx-hulu-1234865893/

• 1 month later...
  • Members

And you're right to feel this way.

I had the opportunity to watch the FX one some time ago and it fell flat, it didn't really offer any added insight. It reminded me of those VH1 "I love the ____" series, except far less entertaining.

Speaking of offering new insights, the Lifetime TV documentary, it seems like it may offer a different perspective.

• Members

This isn't always a given though.

A couple years ago, Faith Evans complained that she gave a documentary her full participation and was disheartened with what ultimately aired and the way she was presented in the doc. 

I am thinking, however that Janet's people made sure that she had approval over the final cut, but I never make assumptions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I am watching the Janet Jackson Documentary right now. It's really good. I am enjoying seeing her talk about her life and her family and their beginnings. I love how Randy is telling her more about how life was back then for them especially in Gary Indiana. She really doesn't remember much because she was the baby in the family and it's interesting seeing her absorb the information like how multiple brothers all slept in the same bed and just how little their childhood home was. She mentioned not really have been back to Gary since she was like eight.  Her and Randy seem really close and I am enjoying the way they are interacting with each other. Good stuff. 

• Members

Janet got a bit more candid in this doc regarding James DeBarge. She genuinely seems upset when she talks about his drug use, including fighting him over pills he was using. And how he would go missing hours at a time, including four hours after they met and would two and half hours late when he was picking her up from work. She also mentioned being out late at night looking for him and seemed upset that people thought she had a secret child and kept it from him. It seems like she really cared about him. Also, I did think it was kind of amusing how they showed footage of him saying that they were both shy when they met and that didn't help the progression of their relationship. The way he said that was kind of amusing to me. 

• Members

It's very interesting. I think you will enjoy it. 

Please register in order to view this content

I like how it's documenting her early beginnings careers, and relationships. I think this might be the most she's ever talked publicly about all of these things especially the personal aspects of her life like her romances. Now she's talking a bit about her relationship with Rene and they are showing footage that he shot of them that has never been seen before. It's really interesting. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

You're welcome. 

Please register in order to view this content

I have never really seen her talk much about him before either, even when the secret baby rumors kept being talked about. And people were saying stuff like they found her grown daughter. She really did seem like she loved James and that his drug issues were too much for her. I am interested in seeing her talk about what was really behind the dissolution of her marriage with Rene. I remember people being surprised about that marriage too, as she was quiet about that, and it seemed like a lot of people really didn't find out about that, until around the time that their divorce was filed. Rene seemed supportive in the footage they are showing so far and he was her longest marriage, and I wonder what ultimately drove them apart.