Janet Jackson Appreciation Thread

KateW

• Members

The more I think about it, the more I think you can't underestimate the effect that the Jacksons' overall notoriety had on Janet's career decline.  Between Michael and his problems, LaToya and her problems and Katherine and Joe and their problems, no Jackson was really safe; and unfortunately, Janet became almost guilty by association.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Janet weathered the storm of her family for many years and distanced herself from them for the most part during her most successful period. By the time of her career decline, it was only really Michael that was a continued sore spot for the family in the press - particularly during the second child molestation trial (where both Janet and LaToya stood ferociously by his side).

It was a series of really poor albums and the Super Bowl incident that doomed her career. In particular, she should have never given Jermaine Dupri so much creative control during their relationship. I think she could have recovered from the Super Bowl fallout a few years later if the material was there, but it largely wasn’t. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Fyi, I don't have cable or access to Lifetime.  I was able to purchase/rent the documentary on Amazon Prime.  Lifetime ran two hours one night, and then two hours the following night.  Amazon Prime has it broken into four separate hours, but it's the same. Just purchase the "season" instead of the individual episodes, I think it cost me $6.99 for the "season" which is all four hours of the documentary. Worth the price!  Better than a fancy coffee drink!

I really enjoyed the documentary. I've always loved Janet and her music.  I hadn't known a lot about her personal life. I learned a lot.

I saw a notice somewhere that you can watch it on "Sky Documentaries" in the UK.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Does anyone know the song that was played near the beginning of the documentary? It was at the point where Janet and Randy were looking at the outside of the Gary house together and "1966, Gary, Indiana" flashed on the screen. It was around the 5 minute mark. It was an instrumental snippet, but it had that Motown feel. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

One of those "reaction videos" somehow came across my recommended list and a guy and his girlfriend were reacting to The Pleasure Principle and afterwards, the guy said something that struck me, something I took for granted when I saw this video for the first time as a child, and every subsequent viewing over the years. He said that this was the first time he saw a singer perform an entire music video doing that level of choreography solo, no backup dancers. And I think back to that era and I try to recall another music video where the singer danced the entire video, full-on choreography (not just prancing), with no back up dancers, in fact no one else appears in the video.

Of course, years later, performers like Mya and Ciara who said they were inspired by Janet Jackson did solo videos but when I think back, I can't remember any other singer doing a full music video just them doing that amount of intricate choreography.

• Members

As great a dancer as he was, when Michael did Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and Rock With You,  I really wouldn't call that the best use of choreography, if it was any choreography at all, it seems improvised. More like grooving to the beat. His serious choreography came with Thriller and he had backup dancers. Even Billie Jean, there were images of the "one" and that black cat. 

Pleasure Principle was Janet, alone doing full-on choreography on a stripped down set. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...