Actors That Wouldn't Have Been Cast Then & Now

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How was I going off topic? I said that the only actress today who would have been casted back then is KM then I went onto say how it is a shame that she wasn't around during the glory years because she would have thrived.

Also, SON is famous for people going off topic on a thread.

• Members

On today's soaps, I think someone like Benjamin Hendrickson would have been marginalized as a gruff cop but a character steered away from romantic pairings and a love triangle would've been out of the question with today's soaps.

Speaking of ATWT, I'm watching classic episodes from the 80s and enjoying Jennifer Ashe's work. Even though she's blonde, today's soaps probably would've gone for the more stereotypical buxom blonde. Jennifer Ashe probably wouldn't be shown as any kind of vixen or role that allowed her to be sexy or full of desire. Meg, especially in her teenage years, was a character bursting with sexuality that she often times didn't know how to rein in. Today's soaps would have made her the mousy blonde who secretly craved the slightest affection but dare not make it known.

If Beth Maitland were on Y&R as a young Traci in this day and age, they probably would've cast her with someone twice her age and not a young stud like DD, which would've been a shame because Traci & Brad, especially in the early years, really worked and Traci was a character you could root for.

Since today's Y&R seems to only like to cast sandy haired men for the show, if Eric Braeden were cast at all, Victor might have been a dark knight but then they wouldn't have known what to do with him. Again, I see his romantic posibilities being non existent (and certainly not paired with bubbly blondes). They probably would have made him a sexual predator or the town pariah.

• Members

Agnes Nixon was taken by Robin Strasser's look and I'm curious to know how she saw Rachel (and prototype Erica) when she envisioned the character. I think it's safe to say that Robin's appearance, and subsequent popularity, lent a heavy hand in Susan Lucci and Roya Megnot's casting years later.

• Members

If GH was casting Scotty Baldwin today, I don't see them (or any other soap) hiring the quirky Kin Shriner, especially in his first go-round. He was a good guy but humorless, if not just plain dull. When he returned (catching Laura's bouquet after her wedding to Luke!), they played up the villainy but made it realistic. But somewhere down the line, they found out that KS has a sense of humor and can play comedy with the best of them, which was good for everyone involved. But he has never had the "conventional leading man" looks, which makes me think he'd never have a chance today.

Archived