Most Polarizing Characters?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was agreeing with you. Maybe I should have said, "like you said" at the end. But I assumed it wasn't necessary. I guess I was wrong. lol

No one is the Baldwin/Fisher family seems polarizing to me. Everyone seems to love this family of thieves, attempted murders, and attempted/successful rapist.

• Members

I thought Evangeline was far more interesting on her own. Loved her more as a lawyer than I did in her romances. IMO, she was defined more as a character through being a layer than she ever was during her destined to fail romances (Well, not necessarily RJ and Chris but John nor Todd were ever going anywhere).

• Members

How the heck could I forget KATIE! Between cheating on Mike, Simon and leading poor Henry by the nose..... Fans definitely were choosing sides. And, you're right, RH's arrival did cause a raucous. ATWT because it wasn't really a "board" favorite and never really have that kind of Stan posting fervor, so I guess i'm going on what people I know thought about characters like Emily. I don't know how I could've forgotten Noah! Ugh!

• Members

I think what you said here also applies to Liz back when I cared about GH. It's not that I disliked Liz because of how she was when she first came on the show. I didn't care about her at all, until she became this pseudo leading woman on the show with a similar backing to that of Carly for doing heinous things and then not having anyone on the canvas call her out for it. Ultimately there was a huge character shift for Liz during 2006, and that shift in story and plot was never accurately reflected and rectified with her previous good girl characterization. There was so a despondence between the two that you had so many female characters trying to make the point of how wrong her duplicitous actions were (Rebecca, Sam, Carly, Sibohan) but all of them ultimately wound up silenced, dead or muted for Liz's benefit and sainthood. It wasn't so much that she made a mistake. No one could ever acknowledge the fact that Liz could ever be wrong. Instead there was this insulting diatribe that Liz had every right to do what she did, because it was in the best interests of the other person she was actively betraying and harming, which was both insutling and endlessly nauseating from a viewer stand point. It was everyone else that was wrong and they should see how hard it was on Liz to do something that could never be classified as unsavory by another character. The wrong was never Liz's fault. It was this sickening "Mistakes Were Made" kind of writing that made you want to slap her around the set three or four different times. A specifically egregious and gratuitous example was when they tried to excuse one of Liz's actions away by using a 10 year old rape, to obfuscate the fact that Liz was making a cuckold out of Lucky for a second time when he did nothing to deserve that disrespect -- when he took Liz and her children in and made a family for them -- was so far beyond abhorrent I still seethe years after the storyline is over and done with.

Thank God JJ was able to lay a few smack-down's on her for GV's Lucky in the end. The literal only saving grace from that time period where Lucky finally got his pound of flesh for all of the wrongs Liz put him through. There was some satisfaction to that 4-5 year storyline.

• Members

Did anyone mention that Theresa slut from Passions? If not, I nominate her. She was the star of the show and had a legion of fans but man was she super hated at the same time. There really wasnt any in between with her. It seemed as if you either stanned her hard or hated her guts

• Members

I found those scenes so holier than thou mostly because Lucky never got called out on his actions in that way. But that was a big problem on GH with so and so woman is a slut diatribes constantly while the men get free passes.

By the end of Passions Theresa, Ethan, Gwen, Luis, Fancy, and Sheridan seemed to be the only characters people were really watching for while everything else was filler. And all 6 of them were polarizing.

• Members

Disagree. GV's Lucky had to gargle glass and kiss hot pokers to get Liz back all the while continuously being deemed not as good as Saint Jason, which made the whole reunion quite unsavory during that time period. GV's Lucky was Guza's favorite whipping boy.

• Members

Agreed.

Everyone had their shots at Lucky and he rarely got to get the upper hand or anything like that. He got called out ad nauseum on every little thing he did and Lizzie was ALWAYS right and ALWAYS too good for him.

I loved GV's Lucky and it was hard to watch a genuinely good but very flawed character get put through the wringer like that.

Archived