Daytime Actors Who Use To Be So Good, But Then Started Phoning It In.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Vanessa Marcil is at the top of the list! She took Brenda from "Sonny, I love you" as Brenda collapses to the floor [brilliant] to a cackling heifer whose sleeves are too long!

I don't agree about Stafford. The problem with Redzilla is that she buys her own hype, but her range is not as great as she thinks it is. She's a good actress, but there is nothing great about her. I would never accuse this woman of phoning it in. She loves who she thinks she is way too much!

• Members

All these GH mentions and no Tony Geary? I thought he was phoning it in when I stopped watching over a decade ago. Somewhere along the way, I think he resigned himself that he was not going to escape the shadow of Luke Spencer professionally and a job is a job.

• Members

I would say the only people I agree with being mentioned in this thread are Maurice, Geary, Kelly, Micheal Easton and Billy Miller. Those are the actors and actresses who actually seem bored with their work and don't show up for their scenes, and it's noticible because their reactions don't fit with what's being produced on screen. The rest either were never good actors to begin with or were good actors who lost sight of how to play their parts due to the material. I would say I disagree with three actors/actresses who were listed as phoning it in and they are below:

Disagree, completely. James is one of the best actors on Days and he always manages to be viable in any scene he is given. So I couldn't agree less with you there. He always gives something to his scenes and always contributes with his scene partners to give them something to work off of. He also has a ton of vitality in his work, even if the story is atrocious. He always plays what is given to him straight, and never thinks the material isn't worth his attention, even if he does hate it.

Again I wouldn't agree with this either. I wouldn't say Rebecca stopped trying, so much as she forgot how to play the part of Greenlee due to the material and changing writing. She was great during her initial run of Greenlee for the most part, her subsequent returns were weakened due to poor writing and Rebecca didn't know how to navigate the field properly. I don't think Rebecca ever stopped trying, she just didn't know how to play the character the way they wrote her. Which mades sense considering she was only playing Greenlee some of the time, with writers who truly knew and understood the character. She was also stronger away from Mathison, than with him.

Disagree with this to. I never felt Van stopped trying, I think just as I said with Rebecca he got confused with the character and didn't know how to properly handle his changes -- which lead to a weakend performance because he didn't understand what the writers were trying to do with Luke. From what I could see he always showed up for work. Especially during the Nuke storyline, which was probably a huge drain on him as it went on for so long without ever going anywhere.

Archived