June 23-27, 2014: Y&R New Low in W18-49 Viewers and W18-34 Rating

Toups

• Members

Sony is not going to blame Altman/Passanante for the ratings slide. Sony is responsible for the departures of MS and BM because they didn't want to meet their demands. MM was a separate situation. The ratings slide was built into their decision. They will give this writing team through the end of the year for sure. That doesn't mean they aren't having other writers pitch stories. Soap producers often pay for long story documents from other writers who never get credit.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really believe that part of GH's ratings impact is because of MS. Plus I know me and a few others (and I'm sure CBS was too) were holding out hope that MS would return after a short while but when she signed with GH and they signed GT to take over that could have had some impact. I am curious to see GT in the role but MS's diehard fans may not be.

• Members

B&B is just head and shoulders above Y&R right now in every department-- what else is there really to say?

I admit, I haven't been a regular viewer of the show in about 7 or 8 years now, so others are more equipped to discuss the specifics but from what I've seen lately, B&B makes Y&R look amateurish in just about everything these days. Even the exterior shots for B&B look superior.

Perhaps because B&B is a 30 min serial vs. Y&R's 60 minutes (including commercials) so maybe that's why B&B gets left out of the conversations?

I'm wondering whether Y&R and B&B have the same budget for their respective shows because Y&R definitely has the look of a show with a budget stretched way too thin. Or Y&R is simply spending its budget unwisely.

• Members

It's always interesting to look at B&B and see what is left of the old Bell formula - business stories, psychologically damaged people driven by the same obsessions into repeating patterns for years. The show is not necessarily my thing but I understand why it is compulsively watchable. It had me hooked for a month or two not long ago.

• Members

I don't know what it is, but even with the scenery-chewers being hounded out of the show (La Staff -- who I still kind of miss sometimes -- Killuh Milluh and the 'alleged' molester), I still cannot bring myself to watch Y&R. It's been this way for over two months. I love certain characters on the show and love that others have gained more prominence (Hillary, Devon, Sharon slowly being redeemed), but there is something totally generic and lacklustre about the show which I just cannot stomach.

Also, too many recasts. Billy should just have been let go to come back at a later date. Three Billys later and is there even a point to having yet another generic blonde dude on the show? To prop up the ever-underachieving Amelia Heinle?

Recast a newbie -- um, ok. Hey southern Kelly. You have completely lost your mystery and intrigue!

Recast Phyllis even though MS is strongly associated with the role? Uh huh. Gina T should just come in and play Victoria at this point. Let Phyllis go until MS and JFP make amends or something.

They really should have co-EPs and better writing. JFP for the firing, and Shaughnessy or Scott back for the Y&R vision, feel and sweep. Kay Alden to consult. It's the only way.

Archived