Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Sadly, I have lost interest in Empire. You know its bad when last season I was the biggest fan. Mostly cause (in no particular order):

1. The influx of Latinos (and none being afro Latinos). Not sure whether it is networks trying to increase the share of Latino HH ratings or just show runners bowing to their complaints over lack of presence.  

2. Cookie becoming a cartoon. Every scene she had was OTT and played for laughs. Tone it down and let TPH be the dramatic actress that she can be.

3. Jamal and who he's screwing. They constantly define Jamal by his sexuality. I'd think that would take a backseat to other story for him now that he's been accepted by his father. 

4. Anika's story. I couldn't stomach her being so pathetic over men. Especially that kid Hakeem. They couldn't find anything else for her. She's a well educated socialite from a wealthy family. She should have connections. At least have a boarding school class mate who had a crush on her. she could marry him and he be rich enough to indulge his new bride's music industry whims. Come on. 

I didn't even watch the last 3 epis of this season. I doubt I'll go back to watch them and just try go pick it up in March. Maybe!?

Edited by ajsp35801

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually this looks far more promising to me. It has a season 1 feel to it. None of my problem areas were visible:

1. Not one Latino shown.

2. Cookie seemed toned down. They put dramatic scenes in if her instead of comedy. Hope that's a theme.

3.  No clip of Jamal with a love interest of any gender (cis, trans, or anywhere in between. Praise). 

4. Didn't see Anikka.  And that didn't bother me at all. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

CeHU508XIAAoy7H.jpg

So these two are f--king. See I dont like that. Now its obvious why Jamal gets so much favoritism on the show. The writing is slanted towards him and he gets to sing like 5 songs an episode. Id be pissed if I were the other cast members

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

Wow! Who would have thunk? Jamal front and center all the time even when it makes very little sense. The sexual fluidity nonsense should have been done with Hakeem, especially since gay rappers is a hot topic. Jamal getting that story was ridiculous. Thank goodness it was a 20 second arc, just like everything else on this clusterfuck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

what the shiggidity!? Are you sure about that? 

Me no likey. Lee is old enough to be Jussue's daddy. I've just never been into the May December romance.

So the episode was much better to me. As I thought, most of my problem areas were cleared up. What's still bothering me is Kitty. But from the preview, writers seem to be flipping her motivation from loneliness and wanting Hakeem to birthing an heir to gain power and interest in Empire. Now this makes more sense. However, it should have been lucious' kid. I wouldn't even mind a rewrite in this instance. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

Hakeem was voted CEO in the most ridiculous board meeting, reconciled with his family, merged the 2 companies, reunited with Laura after calling her a bitch and then deflowers her as they share I love yous in ONE eppy!  Insane!  

Ronda and her God Is Dead had no emotion behind it.  Did she lose a baby or a nail?  I see no trauma at all.  None!  Nada!  Zero!  Zip!  Zilch!