Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Some of the current series in development have taken to some of the level, but in a very superficial way - the new series based on Minority Report is now specifically looking for a black co-lead, I believe. And the new Evil Dead series, of all things, running on Starz, just hired Jill Marie Jones from Girlfriends to be Bruce Campbell's co-star and partner in crime to his long-running character, Ash.

This is not enough, but it's a start. Empire has made people take notice.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't think there is anything ghetto about Empire or any of the characters. Are the characters dramatic? Sure. Each of them in their own right. From Courtney Love to Taraji P Henson. It's called characterization and it is awesome to behold.

Audiences are responding to this show as noted above and it is transforming the industry and making room for diversity. Not because the characters are ghetto but because the characters are allowed to exist and evolve within their respective artistic creations.

The character named Cookie is being called the Queen of Primetime in major entertainment media outlets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-2zyrqfpYQ. How that can be construed as a source of embarrassment to anyone confuses me.

I agree that not everyone will connect to every show. I love me some Viola Davis but How To Get Away With Murder does nothing for me. Nothing against her but I just don't understand the storyline. I tuned in to watch Viola Davis for nearly 3 episodes and while it is amazing to see Viola on tv, there needs to be more for me to remain engaged. This is something I think Empire has mastered. I tuned in for Taraji and the character of Cookie and the other characters and the storyline entertains me. I'm having an exhilarating experience.

At some point black people are going to have to heal and elevate beyond the thinking that we will ever achieve some overall wholesome social nirvana where negative misconceptions will be eradicated within the entertainment format. If the Cosby Show didn't do it, then nothing will.

I have a family member who criticized the character of Olivia Pope on Scandal for functioning as a modern day Sally Hemmings for a white man. Really? Personally, the beauty of Empire is that they changed the game, and are now making their own rules. Every network executive and every critic has been stumped as they try to figure out how to get a piece of that ratings pie. And that means more opportunities for black actors. Right now, the most highly rated serial shows on major network tv are shows with black leads. I refuse to be ashamed of that fact. Not to mention, Taraji is getting a chance to stretch her wings as an actor. She has the freedom to apply a multi-layered characterization in any way she feels makes sense for her character. Amazing!

Throw me in with the crowd who knows people named Cookie. It was a very popular name in the 70's used by white and black women.

• Members

What so good about Empire is the black characters can be schemers. Daytime they put them in a box not only in their love life but them being goody two shoes.

Daytime just want them to be friends with their lead star.

Please, don't get me started on anything dealing with the writer of Thursday line up.

It's weird Empire got a white creator who ask a black guy to help him out with the show.

• Members

I've been wondering how Luscious' key man policy will be affected by his hospitalization last week and whether it will play into the IPO and as a roadblock to Cookie and Luscious.

I'm guessing Anika will have some soapy leverage at her disposal and it could come from any and all of the below:

1-Bunkie's murder. No way Cookie will forgive Luscious for murdering her favorite cousin

2-Cookie's hit. We all know Cookie will never want to return to jail but if the wrong person were ever to find out like Portia it could be problematic. The avenue has been set if Portia ever turns on Cookie.

3-Keyman Policy- Nothing will stand in the way of Luscious' goal to take Empire public. Even Cookie said so during her speech.

4- Good old fashioned pregnancy. In a larger context, I assumed that the appearance of Jamal's potential daughter was a story about Jamal but one thing that was highlighted was Luscious interacting with children. It would be soapy if Anika is pregnant AND that baby is somehow connected to a potential transplant which could prolong Luscious life.

Either way you slice it, the wedding between Anika and Luscious will take place and will be MUST SEE TV when it does.

• Members

One last thing I thought of in terms of images and how characters and groups are shown/reflected. Empire is a show about a family in the music industry-- an industry that is as grimey as hell!

Even in the Post WWII period when the culture and music was supposedly so much more innocent, you had Payola and Organized Crime taking a very active role in the music business.

I cannot imagine any show with anything resembling a realistic portrayal having characters who avoid getting their hands dirty or just downright getting down in the muck.

But above all, it's a work of fictionalized storytelling, the way Dallas, Dynasty and the Sopranos all were.

Okay, I've said my piece on that (lol), I'll stop now.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I actually think that Empire has a lot in common with Downton Abbey. They both are family dramas with a very specific worldview. If Empire is advocating a ghetto worldview then Downton is glamorizing an equally if not more disgusting caste system. But the reality is that both shows are so far from reality that they are practically science fiction. That doesn't mean they can't deal with universal themes like family, sexuality, gender relations, etc... The fictional settings don't mean that truths can't be told.

Edited by marceline

• Members

And it must be a 2 hour long season finale. They have too much storyline ground to cover with anything less. Perfect time to reintroduce Veronika Boseman's What is Love.

Sidenote: Just realized how much of a fashion draw this wedding will be. You have Cookie who is in a category all on her own. And then Anika's wedding gown. Plus the secondary characters like Rhonda and Takeem all dressed to impress.

I'm thinking Anika's got to be the one pregnant. Cookie is presented as his past. Anika having his youngest could be presented as his future and his only hope to survive.

• Members

I really don't think they need Anika. Cookie is there to be whatever Anika was doing. TH was calling on Lil Kim to be an rival for Cookie. Got me thinking Anika role might not last that long on Empire. Then it had me thinking maybe he did a couple of features with a female rap artist to where maybe she got a kid by him. Now that the Red Band Society is cancel get that black kid to come on as Lucious other kid. Hakeem will get competition.

Edited by MoTheGreat

• Members

Giiiiiirl, somebody please bring me blood pressure pills. It's finally EMPIRE time and I cannot.

The engagement-announcement dinner party scene was brilliant. The fur coat with nothing underneath? Cookie slapping her ass--hard--and saying "This, Anika, is an ass!"? Cookie is right. Lucious did lead her on. Although I would have liked to have seen Cookie show some remorse over the fact that she got the wrong person killed, unless she either doesn't know or they address this later on.

Like I said, Jamal would be the first one trying to make nice with Hakeem and Hakeem would be acting like the little bitch that he is. It was orgasmic when Hakeem begged Jamal for his help and Jamal finally, and utterly, shut him down: "I don't care." Yes, boo, yes! I'm glad that they're taking the time to show more of Jamal and Michael's relationship, although it's clear that it won't last. Cookie was very sweet to Michael, even though she was telling him the truth. Of course, who didn't see it coming that Jamal would f#ck sh!t up?

I was not expecting for them to go the experimental drug route with Lucious but it does seem one of the few ways they can have their cake and eat it too--Lucious has the illness but he doesn't have to die within three years. I wish I had a concierge doctor, too! laugh.png Never even heard of such a thing! lmao

They really do give Hakeem some catchy songs. His music video still makes me drip....

Oh no, Anika did not try to turn Porsha against Cookie. Porsha won't give into that... will she?

Oh em Gee... Cookie's about to start getting some from Malcolm, isn't she? biggrin.png I wonder how Lucious will feel when he realizes he hired the man who got Cookied.

Vernon finds out that Lucious murdered Bunky! YES. I love the way that he managed to find a way to take suspicion off Lucious because you know that detective wouldn't stop digging through trash. Vernon chocking Andre was a great shock and I definitely did not expect Vernon to so openly turn against Lucious. Clearly he and Andre are planning something. Andre's "I will slit your throat" was chilling. Man, this guy is dangerous. Although the acting was almost laughable in that moment by Andre.

Courtney Love, for better or for worse, totally looked the part she was playing. I do question the pace here, again. Cookie's dealing with a severely addicted mess whose voice has gone and, within less than 30 minutes, has gotten her going again? Nope, too fast. But I'm here for the ride.

OMG at Jamal having a daughter. Whaaaaaa???