Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm not surprised that Andre has an open marriage. I saw it coming when he bent that other ho over the desk. I didn't have any impression that he actually wanted to f*ck her. I can't even remember the wife's name, but it's clear to me that she and Andre are true partners and ruthless. I consider them both dangerous people who would go further than the rest to get what they want. Most of these characters have some sort of love for each other, but I don't think that's true of Andre.

There are any number of reasons to hate Lucious, but I can't do it. I'm convinced that he loves Jamal, but just can't come to terms with him being gay, yet. IRL, it would be really hard to defend, but on the show they make his struggle so clear, it's hard for me not to feel for the man.

I've thought since the first episode that Lucious is still in love with Cookie, but I wonder if she still loves him. That's less clear to me.

• Members

I'm actually kind of disappointed in Andre. He started off in the pilot as showing poise and class. I thought he might've been that big brother who solicited sage advice to his younger siblings, especially Hakeem. But it looks like Andre is more screwed up and needs the advice more from them.

• Members

He definitely resents his brothers. He and his wife were sneering at them in the first episode. Then Andre said that Lucious even loved Jamal more than him. I wonder if we'll see a different side to Andre at some point. Seems like he's unstable right now, so maybe this isn't the real him.

I meant to say, the thing I found about 1,000 times more disturbing than Andre's open marriage was Hakeem working out his mommy issues with that older woman. ohmy.png Damn! No wonder he doesn't want Cookie to touch him. ph34r.png

• Members

I think that she might still love him, but that she gave up on them a long time ago, after she went to prison and they got divorced. I think that she has resigned herself to thinking that they are never going to get back together. I thought see seemed surprised when he told he loved her, but I think that she was happy about it. I really like how he expresses his thoughts to her, he is just so comfortable with her.

I don't hate Lucious either, in spite of his faults, I really like him and I Think that has a lot to do with TH's acting. He just adds a softer element to Lucious. Like when he was telling the agent how he wanted her to lock Cookie up, and then joking with Cookie about how he had a parole office he didn't like one time and then inviting Cookie to dinner. Or having issues with Jamal, but still joking in a soft way how his room is bigger than Jamal's room at the loft, and seeming happy at first that Jamal would perform for everyone.

I think that he loves Jamal as well, and really didn't want Jamal to leave the apartment because he didn't want Jamal on the streets. I also thought he seemed a bit impressed that Jamal stood up for himself and told him off.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Another great episode. Empire is the serial killer in my life, slaying every week!

Again they did some great editing work with cross-cutting for themes and character beats, for past/present throughlines - Lucious's obviously real emotional reaction and speech at Bunky's funeral, juxtaposed with his actual actions, plus the wonderful scene where they showed Lucious and Cookie working on "Up All Night" and Jamal doing the same.

Cuba was looking alright. Lucious is clearly still constantly amused by Cookie - there was a ghost of a smile when she was acting up at the table and demanding they say grace. TH sells so much with his eyes and their relationship still runs so deep, it's the crux of the show for me.

The ending with Jamal and Lucious was pretty emotional. Lucious knows Cookie is right but he's struggling with his own crippling machismo and toxic hyper-masculinity. You can feel for him and hate him in the same scene - multiple times tonight - and that's what makes a soap patriarch.

• Members

Andre reminds me of a friend of mine with bipolar who went off her meds. Sordid stuff.

Loved Cookie's prayer. There is nothing like a good shady prayer to put someone in their place, lol.

Puma clearly is enamored with Cookie, and she likes him, but I get the feeling that Lucious is probably number one with her.

I get that Jamal is sick of his father's crap, but leaving a comfy loft is too much, rofl. I think Lucious' animosity towards Jamal does have a lot to do with Jamal being an artist, perhaps a better one than Lucious.